Why upgrade to 4.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Oct 7, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I'm on 4.0.1 jb and unlocked. once 4.1 greenpois0n comes out, considering doing a pwnagetool update with the old baseband to have it jailbroken and unlocked.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Great? Is this thread you thinking out loud, or are you asking us for our reasons?

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

oh sorry.

So why upgrade to 4.1 over 4.0.1? Besides HDR, are they any reasons to upgrade? Is performance better? I've heard concerns of battery draining more.

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Well, why ever upgrade? If you don't like the new features, don't. If you do, then go ahead. Now that there's a JB date set, I don't see any reason not to.

I haven't heard anything about the battery draining more personally.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm not broken, but still was worth it. Prox sensor fixed on many, better speeds, task switching seems smoother and faster, and a few other fun things I'm sure.

6. Amino Man macrumors 6502

Performance is worse. Doesn't matter if you do a clean install or an upgrade. Also, my Bluetooth problems weren't fixed. I wish I never upgraded.

7. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

You need 4.1 in order to facetime with iPods as 4.0.1 doesn't support facetime via email address only via phone number.

8. doboy macrumors 68000

9. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

HD video upload over wi-fi is a good reason to upgrade. And the Facetime with other iPods is another one as well.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, you do.

11. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

I upgraded to have the proximity sensor fixed. HDR is a very nice feature too.

12. iMacGuy21 macrumors newbie

13. pault106 macrumors member

In my opinion I don't think its worth upgrading yet so i'm going to stay jailbroken on 4.01 and wait for 4.2

14. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Another thing to note is Cydia app/tweaks compatibility.

Cydia apps/tweaks might not play nice with 4.1 at first, might have to wait a bit until they become compatible.

15. err404 macrumors 68020

It's really simple. If you JB your phone stay on 4.0.1 until it the 4.1 JB is released (rumor has it this Sunday). If you don't JB, upgrade to 4.1.

16. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

But I mean 4.1 runs just as smooth or smoother than 4.0.x?

Because I've heard mixed reports.

17. err404 macrumors 68020

You would need to be pretty picky to notice a difference in performance. 4.1 seems to keep a bit more running in the background which could lead to an occasional jerky transition. but overall i like 4.1 a lot better.

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

I haven't really been keeping up with the new JB talk.

I presume this new JB will be alot of "work" (downloading a bunch of ZIP files, doing a bunch of stuff like having to put the phone in DFU mode, yada yada) like what I used to have to do with my old 3G and even original iPhone?

I guess I'm in no hurry to JB. My JB iPhone 4 on 4.0 has literally not ONCE crashed or even given me any problems or glitches whatsoever. It's very, very stable. My JB 3g and original iPhone would crash about once a week and had bugs every now and then (and I've had the same JB programs on all the phones)

If you already have an HDR app like Pro HDR, the Apple native HDR becomes less of a draw to update.

Nonetheless, there's something to be said for always being "current", so I'll watch for how people's updates go on Sunday

19. Amino Man macrumors 6502

4.1 doesn't run as well as 4.0.x did. Like others have said, it seems like it has a heavier load and stutters here and there.

There's nothing in 4.1 interesting enough for me to justify having it.

I basically upgraded in hopes of it fixing my Bluetooth from losing connection to my receiver when it's powered off and then not automatically reconnecting when it's turned back on. It's not like I can simply reconnect either... I have to delete the iPhone from the receiver and re-pair it all over again. That's every time I get in my car. Bluetooth is basically useless to me ever since 4.0 came out.

20. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

21. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This is where I'm at. I'd like to see if 4.1 fixes my Bluetooth headset issues, but I have an otherwise perfectly running phone JB'd on 4.0 that's a helluva lot more versatile than anything 4.1 offers. My current setup is rock steady, and exactly the way I want it. Frankly I don't want to see that change just to gain a feature or two from new firmware.

But I'll be watching to see what everyone's experience is, and by the time they JB 4.2, it'll probably be time for me to update.

22. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Yeah i'll see how peoples upgrades go too. not worth messing up with the unlock i need in europe.

23. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I just upgraded to 4.1....seems a lot smoother

and Game Center is nice too