Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Other Why upgrading every year isn't as dumb as you think

bakerzdosen

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
I dunno. I get attached to my phones. I'm sitting here with my 12 Pro and I really miss my X. I've gotta send it in (AT&T $800 trade-in offer) and it's not as simple as I thought it would be...
But then again, maybe only having them a year would simplfy that process.

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Every year, I pay the whole cost upfront for the biggest, fanciest iPhone unlocked directly from Apple. This year, I will be selling my iPhone 11 Pro Max (256 GB) on eBay and buying the same size 12 Pro Max. I should get about $900-$950 for it as it is in mint condition. Accounting for eBay fees, PayPal fees, and the taxes I'll pay on the new 256 GB Pro Max, it will essentially cost less than $500 for me to upgrade.

Older iPhones obviously lose value each time a newer model is released, so I am paying only a tiny bit more than if I upgraded every 2 years or every 3 years and did the same thing. I would start saving serious money only if I kept my current phone for at least 4 years, and as a tech enthusiast I just can't bring myself to do that -- especially considering that this is a device I use for multiple hours every day.

In other words, upgrading your iPhone every year is actually not stupid or particularly expensive assuming you pay upfront, keep it in good condition, and sell the old one on eBay. Using this method, I am paying only a fraction of what those on Apple's yearly upgrade program pay. I understand that not everyone is in the financial position to do this, but if you are and are a tech enthusiast like me, I think this is the best way to do it. :)
Agree but I will be the guy buying your 11 pro max on a better deal and then selling next year to upgrade to your new 12 pro max 🤓

Reactions: collin_

George Dawes

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I disagree , the supposed improvements Apple make to each iPhone model doesn't warrant such a big investment

I would wait until they deem your iPhone 'out of date' then upgrade

My 8 plus has plenty of life left in it , thx

DeanLubaki

Contributor
May 29, 2014
Toronto
« Isn’t as dumb as you think » is actually just « meets my needs ». The reason why « it isn’t as dumb » is because of your rationalisation of it , which you said yourself, you’re a tech enthusiast who can’t wait. Not because it’s universally logical and rational.
Someone who can live with not having the latest device will obviously end up with less money spent on phones keeping their phone five years and then upgrading ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think you’re just looking for validation 😛
Even as someone who upgrades every year, I won’t give you that validation 😂 . You and I are unnecessarily spending money on new devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmausmuc

RumorConsumer

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2016
Every year, I pay the whole cost upfront for the biggest, fanciest iPhone unlocked directly from Apple. This year, I will be selling my iPhone 11 Pro Max (256 GB) on eBay and buying the same size 12 Pro Max. I should get about $900-$950 for it as it is in mint condition. Accounting for eBay fees, PayPal fees, and the taxes I'll pay on the new 256 GB Pro Max, it will essentially cost less than $500 for me to upgrade.

Older iPhones obviously lose value each time a newer model is released, so I am paying only a tiny bit more than if I upgraded every 2 years or every 3 years and did the same thing. I would start saving serious money only if I kept my current phone for at least 4 years, and as a tech enthusiast I just can't bring myself to do that -- especially considering that this is a device I use for multiple hours every day.

In other words, upgrading your iPhone every year is actually not stupid or particularly expensive assuming you pay upfront, keep it in good condition, and sell the old one on eBay. Using this method, I am paying only a fraction of what those on Apple's yearly upgrade program pay. I understand that not everyone is in the financial position to do this, but if you are and are a tech enthusiast like me, I think this is the best way to do it. :)
Bro you are in the wrong market. Sell it to your parents like me and don't pay the sneaky 10% eBay fee.

cardfan

Contributor
Mar 23, 2012
« Isn’t as dumb as you think » is actually just « meets my needs ». The reason why « it isn’t as dumb » is because of your rationalisation of it , which you said yourself, you’re a tech enthusiast who can’t wait. Not because it’s universally logical and rational.
Someone who can live with not having the latest device will obviously end up with less money spend on phones keeping their phone five years and then upgrading ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lol. Of course. It’s fun to see the rationalizing going on though. As I’ve mentioned if my work didn’t pay for my phone each year it’d be a different story. It’s like watching people justifying their drug habit.

Reactions: DeanLubaki

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G4
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I just received a 900$ offer for my one year old iPhone 11 Pro Max 256gb on Facebook marketplace. Buyer asked where to pick up and I told him inside my local police station. He agreed and I asked for his cell number as well to confirm an hour before. So I’ll let you guys know if everything goes well. This is for tomorrow morning

Did you suggest the police station so he knows you are trustworthy?

hr10

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Coming from the very first iphone, part of it is more like a tradition that I have to do it yearly. I don’t see an issue if it’s something I use the most. However I don’t mind wait a month or 2 and snap a mint condition one on Swappa or Facebook group at slightly discounted price, it makes up part of the lost when you sell it next year

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G4
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
One thing I have learned is people who upgrade every year do so because they ‘want to’, not because they need to. The hardware changes are so minimal heat on year, even the camera and I think people talk themselves into needing something which is often fairly insignificant. I’ve seen people suggest they upgrade every year because of the battery and they are a heavy user. Well a battery shouldn’t degrade badly in just 12 months and I’d it does simply through use, that is grounds enough to get a free replacement.

I’ve just upgraded from an 8+ to an iPhone 12 and the differences are not as much as I thought they would be. Performance wise the phones are similar and most of the changes are aesthetic. The camera is the main difference. FaceID isn’t as reliable as I have seen touted and the OLED is nice, but I’d never have upgraded purely for this like many here religiously advertised. If the differences are small after 3 years, i’ll never understand why many of you tall yourselves into needing to upgrade after just 12 months. It takes all sorts though and the big winner is Apple obviously.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Did you suggest the police station so he knows you are trustworthy?
I suggested the police station for two reasons. One, to see if he would anxiously reject the idea. That would be a red flag to me. Two, for my safety. I probably would’ve suggested some other public place like a carrier store but since this is a $900 deal I wanted free security. I’m putting my tax dollars to work

p.s. You never know if someone will flake. Once I have the money in hand then it’s real

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors G4
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I suggested the police station for two reasons. One, to see if he would anxiously reject the idea. That would be a red flag to me. Two, for my safety. I probably would’ve suggested some other public place like a carrier store but since this is a $900 deal I wanted free security. I’m putting my tax dollars to work
Fair enough, I suppose people are armed there so it’s a bit different to selling from Facebook marketplace and collecting from someone’s doorstep like we do here lol. Good luck with your sale, got to sell my 8+ this week too. I don’t do cash in this day and age, I like to see it in my account before they walk away.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
My situation is better, I think. You’re saying you would pay less than 500$ for the upgrade after you sell on eBay but I would be satisfied with the bottom storage this year 128gb. I too have the 256gb but I didn’t need that much and the base of 64gb last year was too small so I was forced to go to 256gb. Heck, if I got 900$ for mine the difference would be 200$ plus tax plus a 40$ Apple case.

ebay is a lot of fees I’m guessing? Have you tried swappa? What’s your experience been selling? Just eBay ?
I buy the new iPhone every year too going for the biggest Plus/Max models. But I alternate between buying it outright from Apple and a contract with a network. I also get a discount from the company I work for when buying it using either method.

I will be going for the 128GB model too this year. This was always the storage option I chose every year until the removed it to force customers to spend more. Like you 64GB was too small so was forced to go for the 256GB. Currently I have only used 57GB of that storage.

As for eBay they take a lot for the fees and PayPal take their cut as well. You can’t do much regarding PayPal fees but for eBay they are always offering £1 selling fees which is when I sell all my stuff that needs selling. It’s really good because no matter how much you sell your item for or charge for postage they will only take £1 for fees on the whole sale so basically you get 100% of the sale value.

Quackington

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
Do what you want to do, OP. I just couldn't bring myself to do this, especially when there aren't really many reasons to upgrade the very next year, IMO. I had my iPhone 6 for 5 years (2014-19), upgraded to an 11 last year. I think I kept the iPhone 6 going for maybe one year longer than I should have, as it became slow and I needed to use the battery case. I plan to keep ther 11 for at least 3 years, if not 4. I reckon I could take it to 5 years if I don't bother with OS updates. I haven't upgraded to iOS 14 yet, I don't really need any of those fancy new features (I only really use it for text, calls, browsing and some apps). My phone is as fast as it was when I bought it. A friend of mine that has the XR upgraded the OS to 14 recently and told me that he's noticed the phone being slower ever since. I feel like I remember this happening to my iPhone 4 when I upgraded it to iOS 6 or somethinhg like that.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I buy the new iPhone every year too going for the biggest Plus/Max models. But I alternate between buying it outright from Apple and a contract with a network. I also get a discount from the company I work for when buying it using either method.

I will be going for the 128GB model too this year. This was always the storage option I chose every year until the removed it to force customers to spend more. Like you 64GB was too small so was forced to go for the 256GB. Currently I have only used 57GB of that storage.

As for eBay they take a lot for the fees and PayPal take their cut as well. You can’t do much regarding PayPal fees but for eBay they are always offering £1 selling fees which is when I sell all my stuff that needs selling. It’s really good because no matter how much you sell your item for or charge for postage they will only take £1 for fees on the whole sale so basically you get 100% of the sale value.
Well I don’t have to think about any of that this year. I have an alleged buyer from FB Marketplace. I’ll see if it pans out tomorrow or it was BS

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
Consumerism at its best.

I keep my phone for 3-4 years and enjoy all the new features of the past models in one go.

It cost me a one off £1000 for the new Pro, so £250 per year if I don’t sell it at the end.

Last time around my iPhone 7 cost me £700, Apple offered me £90 for it to trade in, so that’s net £610, or £152.50 per year.

I feel no desire to upgrade every year and weep at the carbon footprint & unnecessary impact of constantly needing the latest phone

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
yeah I almost got scammed, twice. Both times was a buyer address that was some sketchy looking small business at street view, and doing a google search turned up other people that got scammed by the "iphone didn't arrive", and when the seller got the phone (if they did), it was a different phone usually with cracked screen or something.

I think sellers of phones on ebay do some predatory buying (offer overpriced winning bids), and then get the seller trapped in 15 day waiting periods from the time the buyer submit a "non-paying" report to ebay. (Thus, making it more difficult for one-off phone sellers to get a sale)

I'll never sell again on Ebay unless it's an old phone that's worth $100 or less.

Always sell on eBay using the Buy It Now option with the immediate payment box ticked. This prevents waiting around for payment and some scammers because they can’t purchase the item without paying first.

Also I always use Special Delivery here in the UK or International Tracked and Signed for overseas. This way scam buyers can’t say they didn’t receive the phone as it’s trackable and requires confirmation of delivery.

In addition on my selling page I make it very clear no returns are accepted. I keep my iPhone in mint brand new condition so I know they are in perfect working order and as described. I know other people are not like me so as soon as they receive and unbox an item of mine and touch it, it will not come back to me in the same condition.

I’ve sold like this on eBay for many years and never had an issue.

• Love
Reactions: JM

plufz

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I'm from Europe, and maybe this is a cultural difference to the US but atleast for me one of the things I love about using Apple products is that they hold well over a longer period. Not because I can't afford to buy a new one every year but because of the lower environmental impact that makes. It's really great that Apple have ambitious environmental goals, but lets not pretend that building the products comes without environmental costs (atleast for now :). Still I really want to emphase that I find Apples environmental work amazing.

Max48

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
So what if I wait until next year? My 11 Pro might not have LIDAR, but it still holds its own easily. Maybe I loose 100-150$ more depreciation. But add that value up to the 500$ you said and I’m out 650$ for 2021’s phone, versus your 1000$ for this year, plus next year. I think I’ll wait.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England

When someone spends their money on what interests and pleases them, then who can say they're doing the wrong thing? We only come this way once.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
I am going to put the environmental impact of buying new devices every year aside, because that’s a whole different discussion.

It‘s fine to spend the money and get a new phone every year simply because you want the latest and it makes you happy and your brain releases little endorphins every time you open that brand new box. I get it. But don’t try to pretend like it’s clever, or financially savvy, because it’s not.

If you feel the need to justify yourself on forums to a bunch of strangers, then you probably have something in the back of your head telling you it’s not fine and the only one you are really trying to convince is yourself. So people post on forums to find self-validation and it makes them feel a bit better if others are doing the same thing, because we are herd animals.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
When someone spends their money on what interests and pleases them, then who can say they're doing the wrong thing? We only come this way once.
Hobby/interests into high-tech/Apple doesnt mean you have to buy every year
I am fan of Apple (like everyone else on this forum) and currently own some of their devices but it doesnt mean every years, i m willing to buy and upgrade every year:
  • Wasting money for small changes (Apple dont start new product cycle every year, remember 5/5S, 6/6S/7, X/XS)
  • Contributing to impulse buy
  • I know its bad analogy, it as if you raise a baby, i would raise a baby to become a child until he becomes an adult, for those who upgrade every year its like raising a baby and make another one and giving up the former baby lol
  • Keep your money for anything else, if you got too much money, give it to a charity, do something else than upgrading products and degrading the planet for the sake of environment
Yes i know i talk a bit about green environmental but its necessary to have clear conscience of that
Buy smart and not buy more!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.