Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
i use to work for fedex a year ago and the drivers delivers stuff when they want to. They will say they came to your house and nobody answerd if they don't feel like coming to you area. I don't know why apple would use them

Thanks, I'll consider the source ;)

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
Is anyone else really mad that UPS is shipping them instead of Fed Ex? I was so excited when I thought Fed Ex was delivering them because Fed Ex always delivers in my neighborhood before noon. UPS, on the other hand, doesn't deliver until 6pm on weekdays.

You and I have the exact same problem. I was a little sad I hadn't just pre-ordered, in spite of FedEx's rotten delivery guy in our area. The switch to UPS leaves me happier since, out here in the boonies, we don't get delivery until 6 or 7pm.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I'm waiting on a 3g version but I'm happy if they are using UPS instead of FedEx.

I live in Rochester, MN which is home to the Mayo Clinic and one of the largest IBM facilities in the U.S. yet our FedEx Home Delivery is based out of Holman, WI which is like 80 miles away. If I get hosed on delivery that mean I have to wait until the next deliver to get my stuff. With UPS I can drive to UPS and pick it up.

FedEx pretty much blows for me.

Steve

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Thanks for playing, try again later. Do you feel better after posting complete nonsense?

Both companies offer residential Saturday delivery. Either Apple negotiated a better price with UPS or they're load balancing across multiple carriers and we just haven't seen the FedEx shipments yet. They aren't using UPS because FedEx doesn't offer the service.

UPS to USPS hand off is a completely different thing and has nothing to do with what we're discussing here. It will not and cannot happen with these shipments.

Apple would be stupid not to play the carriers against themselves in order to get the best pricing possible on such a large launch.

Its not complete nonsense. I posted that because I logged into my FedEx account and didnt see an option. I just took a quick glance. But, after reading a little further, Saturday delivery is only available with overnight and 2 day delivery through FedEx. UPS offers Saturday delivery with standard shipping. You just have to specifically mark it and it costs a little more. Thats probably why UPS was able to get a cheaper rate.

You're right, UPS to USPS is completely different, BUT someone mentioned it so I thought Id comment on it.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I'm waiting on a 3g version but I'm happy if they are using UPS instead of FedEx.

I live in Rochester, MN which is home to the Mayo Clinic and one of the largest IBM facilities in the U.S. yet our FedEx Home Delivery is based out of Holman, WI which is like 80 miles away. If I get hosed on delivery that mean I have to wait until the next deliver to get my stuff. With UPS I can drive to UPS and pick it up.

FedEx pretty much blows for me.

Steve

Its the exact opposite for me, if by some chance I miss the UPS guy (if he even comes on Saturday) then I am screwed until Monday because they take the packages back downtown and they aren't open to the public on Saturdays. If it was Fed Ex, the facility they take the packages to is right down the street from me, I could run down on Saturday and pick it up.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Well if UPS doesn't deliver by 2:00, I'm going to the Apple Store and pick up the one I have on reserved. Then I'll return one of them unopened to avoid the restocking fee.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Its the exact opposite for me, if by some chance I miss the UPS guy (if he even comes on Saturday) then I am screwed until Monday because they take the packages back downtown and they aren't open to the public on Saturdays. If it was Fed Ex, the facility they take the packages to is right down the street from me, I could run down on Saturday and pick it up.

Ditto.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Its not complete nonsense. I posted that because I logged into my FedEx account and didnt see an option. I just took a quick glance. But, after reading a little further, Saturday delivery is only available with overnight and 2 day delivery through FedEx. UPS offers Saturday delivery with standard shipping. You just have to specifically mark it and it costs a little more. Thats probably why UPS was able to get a cheaper rate.

You're right, UPS to USPS is completely different, BUT someone mentioned it so I thought Id comment on it.

Okay, maybe not complete nonsense but nonsense all the same :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.