Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have my iPhone 6, an Apple TV 3, both on WiFi. Both show full bars on WiFi, work fine. On Apple TV I can connect to my iMac via computer to watch my movies fine.

However if I pay a video on my iPhone from the web, it starts to play straight away fine. I try to airplay to my Apple TV and it just buffers, spinny wheel, takes an age, to play on Apple TV. If I switch back to iPhone, it plays straight away.

I thought airplay was supposed to be instant, it paying the same thing so why do I just get buffering?

As I've said, WiFi signal is fine on both, I've restarted both, YouTube direct on Apple TV is ok, it seems to just be airplay. Why?

Thanks

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Probably because you are streaming from the internet to your phone, then from the phone to the ATV, so thats x3 the amount of data.

I'd guess you are consuming the available bandwidth.
Airplay sucks when doing things like this, you are better to simply play the video on the ATV. Use something like the remote app

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Why us it taking so long to airplay?

Is that what happens? It streams to iPhone, then streams from iPhone to Apple TV.

It's so frustrating, like my Apple TV, but to airplay lately it's taking ages, not sure exactly why's

Can't play some video direct on Apple TV though, e.g. BBC iPlayer, the remote app is just to control the Apple TV, for navigation etc

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Is that what happens? It streams to iPhone, then streams from iPhone to Apple TV.

It's so frustrating, like my Apple TV, but to airplay lately it's taking ages, not sure exactly why's

Can't play some video direct on Apple TV though, e.g. BBC iPlayer, the remote app is just to control the Apple TV, for navigation etc

Are you up to date on your software on the phone and AppleTV? Have you tried unplugging the appletv?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

Yes, but to be clear, it's 3 trips.
1) router to iPhone
2) iPhone to router
3) router to Apple TV

This is the scenario in which Chromecast, which streams direct from the web to Chromecast dongle (with phone acting as a remote), uses a more elegant protocol than AirPlay. In other words, with Chromecast you bypass legs 1 & 2 above.

To improve your AirPlay experience, perhaps you could try connecting your Apple TV to your router via Ethernet. Leg 3 would then happen over wired connection rather than wifi. Powerline networking is a way to do this relatively cheaply if they are in different rooms.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.