Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igetit

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Snoqualmie, WA
I used to own a first generation iPod which I eventually gave to my brother. I purchased a new (I guess old now :rolleyes: ) color screen iPod. To my surprise (or lack of research I guess) I had to buy a firewire cable in order to use my new iPod with my aging G4.

My question is why is Apple using USB instead of firewire? I think USB sucks in comparison to FW. USB requires the iPod to be charged at least 10% to be able to transfer songs, FW never had such requirement. Does anyone know why the change? I don't mind having to buy the cable, but now, if I want an iPod Nano I can't have it because the Nano is completely incompatible with FW and I am sure the Video iPod is too. Don't mean to rant but I guess I am pissed about it. :mad:

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I'm not 100% sure but I think your the first person to make a thread about this. I'm so surprised nobody else has noticed this.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
the main chip that drives the ipod has a built-in usb controller, and that saves tons of space because firewire would require a whole other controller.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Money... Apple wants more money from your iPod purchase... Simple...

Why is USB more popular?

Money... Manufacturers want more money from your _____ purchase... Simple...

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Apple is using USB because all new PCs have USB 2.0 while only some have Firewire and the majority of those are the 4-pin variety. 4-pin Firewire cannot charge the iPod and Apple is making profits by no longer including the AC adapter in the box. Therefore USB wins by being ubiquitous on the PC side.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
USB is just more popular, oh well.
People don't realize how much better Firewire is. USB 2.0 says it can transfer at 480 mb/s, while Firewire says it transfers at 400 mb/s, this is my guess why it is more popular, anyone that bothers to look will think USB 2.0 is faster, IT'S NOT! Several studies have proven that Firewire is much faster.
(man, I say that so much, I should make it my sig :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.