Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
This is the question I'm asking myself, as a mac user: Why Use A Mac?

This question and posting aren't meant to start a "rant" so please do not take this posting in that way. :)

I've been a MacBook Pro user for about a year now. While I like lots about the mac, there are lots of things I don't like. While these issues aren't exactly "show stoppers", they're close....

So, I'm on the fence right now about whether to go out and get a Windows 7 laptop (ugh!) and move back to Windows. My Windows XP Pro experience was nearly perfect, but Vista moved me to the mac.

Programs I use A LOT that don't work well on the mac or don't have true equivalents on the mac

Examples:

MyEclipse plug-in for Eclipse.

With Apple's mess up of the JVM 1.6 and "carbon issues", this mac plug-in really doesn't work well at all. Also, this company doesn't fully support the mac platform (missing features) due to issues. I'm therefore forced to use my VM Windows XP machine anytime I do software development.

WinZip.

Yes, I know "zip" is built in to the mac. But, what's on the Mac isn't even close to Winzip for Windows. There is no zip file viewing, no encryption, no interface, etc. No comparison.

Password manager.

Here the mac version of the password program I use isn't even close to the windows version.

Snagit.

Still not on the mac. (though supposedly a version is in the works.) No real equivalent. The screen capture on the mac is, again, very rudimentary - similar to Print Screen or Alt Print Screen in windows. Snagit is the real thing.

VM Fusion running windows sucks the life out of my 4 GB mac. I get lots of "color wheels". I've configured VM Fusion to run in 800 MB with only one virtual processor, but it's not fun.

There are other issues as well, but this is the gist of it.

-----

I find that I do all my productive work in Windows, not on the Mac.

Sadly, I'm now wondering if Windows 7 wouldn't make more sense -- IF, and it's a big "IF", it's truly better than vista.

Having the Registry, DLLs, backups, Anti-virus/spyware, and all those issues to worry about again is a major turn-off for any M$ platform.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

M

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I guess I'd be searching for more or different software for the Mac. There seem to be a number of winzip alternatives.

I'm retired, but if I was working I could see some issues myself trying to use a Mac due to some programs simply not working on the Mac.

If you're having issues with VMware, maybe you should consider an iMac with a quad core and 8gb or more memory.

When I was working we used Windows XP, and the corporate IT people dealt with the antivirus and firewalls and did the updates automatically.

However, I'd hate to go back to windows with the hassle of anti-virus, firewall shenanigans, registry, freaky DLLs.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
So....Get a Windows 7 machine. Not really sure what the point of the post is.
Tough to find any product that's "everything to everyone".

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
well from the sounds of it, it is affecting your time on a computer. If that is the case then i would sell the mac and move back to windows. Or and only if you really like macs, you could sell it and get a new imac or mac pro. But from what it seems you need something portable. So i would look into the new i7 processors in the hp or dells that have been coming out. They are fantastic for multi tasking, and also windows 7 is really the successor to xp imo. Vista was complete garbage. That is also the reason i looked into macs and now i have one. I love macs but there are still things i need windows for. So i switch between the two rarely, but i still do need windows.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
get whats best for you. Macintosh works best for my interests. Logic Studio, Garage Band. also the simplicity of the os, little things like expose and spaces, integration with iPhone, and the beautiful hardware that ships with macs. Its all part of the experience. Not to mention no virus's, and spyware/ adware

Do whats good for what you like to do. Put windows 7 on your mac in boot camp. You'll have some of the best of both worlds.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Password manager.

Here the mac version of the password program I use isn't even close to the windows version.

Are you using 1Password?

Snagit.

Still not on the mac. (though supposedly a version is in the works.) No real equivalent. The screen capture on the mac is, again, very rudimentary - similar to Print Screen or Alt Print Screen in windows. Snagit is the real thing.

I'm guessing you've tried Grab or Skitch?

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
Why not just put Windows 7 on your current machine. People are saying u can even though the current Boot Camp drivers are not out yet.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
thanks for all the terrific replies!

As someone stated, neither platform is perfect. I suppose my posting really wasn't clear since I was partly "venting" and partly wishing there were a single computer that was "perfect". XP Pro was close.

Thanks again!!!

M

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Sure, Windows could do everything I want, and some things better (games), but I love the OS X interface, I love having everything out of the box, I love it being so stable and never freezing or running slow, I love not having to worry about viruses etc. Plus the new iMac's with a 1440P 27" screen are pretty good value considering how expensive those screens are. Probably close to on par with buying a PC with the same specs now, if you got a 27" screen with it.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Have you tried stuffit?

I read so many mixed reviews that I dismissed it.

-- M

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Right, but Snagit lets you edit and process your screenshots and save to many, many formats. Also, it will capture an entire web page, etc. It's an amazing program.

The good news is that Snagit should be on the mac soon so I'm not that worried about Snagit.

Thanks.

M

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
If you need windows I wouldn't buy a whole other pc. Altough the article is old, it still is an indication how well your macbook pro can handle vista (and also windows 7, I have it installed right now). http://gizmodo.com/317060/macbook-pro-is-the-fastest-windows-vista-notebook

You probably already knew this but with command shift 4 you can select what you want to copy, command shift 4, and then space gives you a "camera" to make a screenshot of one window. Command shift (3 or 4 or 4 and space) and CTRL doesn't save it on your desktop but copy's it, so when your press command v it pastes. Command shift 3 gives you the entire screen. So there are quite some options, don't know if you have those too in windows.

You could also try wine. My mother uses it to use programs only for windows. It will make run programs without using windows.

I didn't entirely get what you do, but I have to admit that wine probably won't suffice when you build software or have to do cpu intensive programs. Didn't research it.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Eclipse.

Xcode is a much better IDE for coding work. What's truly a "mess up of JVM 1.6" is Windows. OS X has Java preinstalled. It's easier to compile Java code using Terminal than on Windows, where you have to find the correct version of Java, install it, move the compiler around and type in the code. I made some Java apps for my Dad's company and it was easier to code and compile on my Mac than on Windows.

WinZip.

The Unarchiver and Stuffit come to mind. I recommend The Unarchiver. It does everything WinZip does.

Password Manager.

If Keychain Access isn't enough, try 1Password. It's not free but it does the job better than Keychain.

Snagit.

The default keyboard shortcuts work just fine for me. What feature do you need? Like what do you find that's missing but crucial to your work? There are many alternatives to the default shortcuts, it's easier to narrow down which ones.

Nate.Newton

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
USA
When you use a Mac, most of the time you are paying for (imo) a lot less hang-ups and the ease of use. They are also a professional standard in the film industry.

-N

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for all the great replies.

Actually, I use "MyEclipse", which is a supercharged plug-in for Eclipse. For Web development, you can't beat it.

It just doesn't run well on the mac.

- M

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Also, it will capture an entire web page, etc.

I use a great Firefox plugin called Screengrab for that.

StuffIt has been around so long that it has become total bloatware, but it's worth a look if you can't find anything else that meets your needs. Personally, I've abandoned all GUI archiving programs in favour of command-line apps like tar and unrar. It's not for most people, but it makes me feel cool.

Bottom line: if you're not happy with your current setup, get one that you will be happy with. Having happily switched from Windows to Mac, it would be rather hypocritical to advise against doing the reverse.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
i know your gripes are mostly with software, but the killer mac feature that hooked me was the glass trackpad. it is honestly just such a joy to use with its intuitive and responsive multitouch gestures

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I use a great Firefox plugin called Screengrab for that.

StuffIt has been around so long that it has become total bloatware, but it's worth a look if you can't find anything else that meets your needs. Personally, I've abandoned all GUI archiving programs in favour of command-line apps like tar and unrar. It's not for most people, but it makes me feel cool.

Bottom line: if you're not happy with your current setup, get one that you will be happy with. Having happily switched from Windows to Mac, it would be rather hypocritical to advise against doing the reverse.

----

I'm thinking possibly getting a new 27" iMac might just fit the bill. The 15" MBP is just too small. Stick 8 GB of memory in the iMac and go from there.

I also found a very cool Finder replacement called "Path Finder". It's very nice.

-- M

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I second the use of The Unarchiver and 1Password - excellent utilities. If you have an iPhone, they also have 1Password there as well, so you can sync all your website passwords to your phone too.

I also purchased Pathfinder - awesome dual-pane replacement for the Finder.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for all the great replies.

Actually, I use "MyEclipse", which is a supercharged plug-in for Eclipse. For Web development, you can't beat it.

It just doesn't run well on the mac.

- M

Have you tired Coda or something similar like espresso(macrabbit) for coding web app's. And if you do any CSS design look into CSSEdit(macrabbit).

I would never use something as clunky as Eclipse for web development.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Have you tired Coda or something similar like espresso(macrabbit) for coding web app's. And if you do any CSS design look into CSSEdit(macrabbit).

I would never use something as clunky as Eclipse for web development.

For Java development, take a serious look at myeclipseide.com

The amount of time it saves me is amazing!

Once you get used to the lights dimming when you start MyEclipse (a non-free plug-in for Eclipse), then .... :)

-- M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.