Why use Intel on some and not others? Causing ATT to not have CDMA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Sep 8, 2016.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Makes no sense why apple would do this and cause issues for people who pay full retail to not have a fully functional world phone. They haven't done it in years, I wonder what caused it? Could it be the different advanced LTE bands?

2. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

This is going to be TSMC vs Samsung all over again, and why? To save a dollar per phone?

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

So I wonder which one will ship when purchasing with Apple Upgrade program.

4. rawlus macrumors 6502

They probably do it because they don't like paying Qualcomm licensing fees for billions of phones that will never even use CDMA , instead, they bring Intel back, Intel acquires/buys CDMA technology, Apple goes all in on Intel next round and we are back to world phones for everyone.

5. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

What I don't understand is... why are you (and all these other people) all up in arms about the AT&T/T-Mobile iPhones not having CDMA. If you are not a Verizon/Sprint customer... why do you care so much about having CDMA?

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

This.
    And considering Verizon phones are unlocked out of the box, for those that think they might use Verizon in the future, just buy Verizon phones.

This is a non-issue. People made it like it is painful for them , while no other phones out there have as extensive band support as the iPhone. Of course, unless user is a scalper, planning to sell US phones overseas (eg. China). Then they might complain about this. For majority of users, it's a non issue.

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I'm giving my iPhone 6s Plus to my cousin's daughter after I receive my 7. She has Sprint. Doing something so simple will be much more complicated next year and I'm sure a lot of people will end up with phones that won't work on the network they want. This used to be a problem that Apple proudly professed to have eliminated with a universal version of the iPhone but has now recreated.

8. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

intel doesn't have the cdma tech

they just did an acquisition with some so hopefully soon

9. rawlus macrumors 6502

Apple should charge more for the "world phone" since it has more, and that would reconcile all the complaining that some phones are crippled. Maybe they will do this in the next round, revalue the world phone according to market prices and charge accordingly. Maybe $100 more for the world phone, then we will see who's complaining. Lol.