Why use Jailbreakme when Redsn0w and Pwnage are fine...?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thespazz, Jul 11, 2011.

1. thespazz macrumors 6502a

What exactly is the reason (aside from iPad 2) that people are using JB.me and beta testing it?

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Probably the same reason non devs are using iOS 5 betas and then complaining about the bugs? They think it's cool. LOL

Honestly, though, for some, especially those JB'ing for the first time, it's just because they're intimidated by the whole Pwnage/Redsn0w process. Using the website is about as easy as it gets. I know after using the last web based one for my first ever jailbreak, I was pretty queasy about trying to use redsn0w--ended up using it on my iPad first because I didn't want to mess up my phone. When I realized just how simple it really was, it was easy enough to advance to Pwnage and preserve my 1.59 baseband too.

But it was scary that first time, I'll admit it.

No way I'd use jailbreakme now until the kinks are fully worked out, and especially not on a primary phone. I have a stock 3G iPad1 here waiting for that to happen, and nearly a week in, nope, still too many bugs for me to be interested. If they don't get it cleaned up soon, I'll just go the Redsn0w route with that one too. (I'm just being lazy in the meantime, it's not that urgent.)

3. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

Probably because this jailbreak is so easy and you don't need a computer for this. So you can jailbreak everywhere ;)

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's just a lot easier to explain. I've convinced a few people to jailbreak their phones after showing all the cool tweaks that can be done, and it's a lot easier to say "go to jailbreakme.com" than it is to explain how to use redsn0w (or worse yet, pwnagetool).

5. Jakerz macrumors regular

I haven't had any problems with JBM. What problems are people having?
    By the way...I am running 4.3.3 and my base band is 4.10.01 on my iPhone 4

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's more convenient because it's easier, but it's still pretty buggy which is why I'll stick to Redsn0w before I use JBME on a primary.

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ugh

Jailbeakme.... I'm on my 2nd restore in as many days.

1st go around went perfectly, downloaded all the necessities (SBSettings, Winterboard, 5 icon tweaks, bitesms, a notifier, etc) and it was going fine for about a week. It would crash a couple of imes on one day, then go for 2 days just fine, then crash again, yada yada. Then yesterday it crashed and wouldn't boot past the apple.

Restored it, jailbreakme.com again, and it wont boot after I restart following cydia installation.

Restored it again.

I'm going to go the redsn0w or pwnagetool route this time...

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I've been unlocked with jailbreakme since last Friday and have had some issues admittedly; there is supposedly a fix in as of this morning for those of us on Verizon iPhone4 v,3.2.8.

Have not had to resort to an iTunes restore as of yet, and I think the tweaks currently in effect are stable. What's funny, is that even with a few kernel panics a hacked iPhone4 works way better and more reliable than my HTC eris ever did.

No regrets.. and yes I did it because it is my first attempt at unlocking an Apple device, it was easy as going to a website, and I didn't want to screw anything up that is irreversible.;)

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

I think you mean iOS 4.2.8.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

You're right. But watch out- updated blog says new jbme bricks VZ iPhones....

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I love JBme.
    May sound a bit crafty, but I sell jailbreaks at school for £2 for people who can't do it. I tether my phone to their iPod and then go to JBme :D :eek:

12. TC25 macrumors 68020

Wow, actually bricks it and it becomes totally unusable?

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

like others have said, even though RedSn0w or Greenpois0n is easy after you actually try it, some people are inteminated by some terms they might not be familar with like DFU and what not, but everyone knows how to go to a website

14. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

According to the link i provided at bottom of page. I havan't tried it. :p

15. MACis122 macrumors regular

I've restored multiple times setting up as a new phone and still JBM is not working well with my phone I'll bit the bullet soon and just go RedSnow

16. OmniChinchilla macrumors newbie

Why has no one mentioned it's the only tool out there that can jailbreak the iPad2? For me, that's the only good part about it. Also, it takes about 10 seconds to complete which is very cool. The only reason it's buggy is because of that guy who stole a beta version and leaked it out. If that never happened JBME would probably not be out right now with so many bugs. I used it on my iPad2 32GB wifi and it worked perfectly for me, I guess it's hit or miss.

Personally my favorite is pwnagetool, always has been.

17. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Whats its doing thats not allowing you to JB it?

18. Acedia macrumors newbie

I went to JBM since it was my first attempt at jailbreaking. I've since installed quite some apps from cydia without any issues. I do stay away from bitesms since that doesn't seem to play nice with the JBM jailbreak according to other users. JBM is a nice gateway tool for people interested in jailbreaking but who are still a bit intimidated by the processes involved with redsn0w and pwnagetool.

19. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

No it doesn't. It says their update didn't work and that you should use something else for the time being. It doesn't brick them.

and for what it's worth, pwnagetool doesn't work for verizon phones either.

20. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Sorry, I was reading this paragraph..

"Update: It seems the update will brick your CDMA iPhone 4, so Verizon customers may want to stay away from it until further notice. Comex’ recent tweet reads: “looks like my update messed up verizon iphones” so a new update should be released in the near future."

link

21. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Maybe because the OP said "aside from the ipad2"? :D

If it was the only option out there for my device, yes, I'd use it. Because it isn't, I'm a lot less interested. I'll take a STABLE jailbreak that doesnt kill major functionality on my phone (bite) or ipad (camera connection kit) any day, even though it means a little more work versus the convenience of one click web based jailbreaking.

And that's what's unfortunate for the newbies using it. The alternatives are more likely to give them a better experience overall at this point.

22. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Even though I use Pwnage on my i4 and have also used it on my iPad 1, I used jailbreakme on my iPad WiFi recently (I had updated to 4.3.3 a few months ago and hadn't bothered to re-JB it) and it worked easily and has not crashed once in nearly a week. I have no issue using Pwnage, I actually enjoy the process, it just seemed as if this would be quick and easy. It was. I've seen no bugs- although I know on a phone, trying to use biteSMS with jailbreakme will put it into a loop.

23. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Hmmm... sounds like somebody is exaggerating. The only reason I know it doesn't brick your phone is because I tried using jbme, and I just needed to enter DFU and restore. It's a PITA but it was fine.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    And since I dont have an ipad 2 I wont bother.

25. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Can someone give me the link to download Redsn0w to jailbreak my 4.3.3 iphone 4?