Why use safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dumb, Nov 12, 2009.

1. dumb macrumors member

1)I cannot use 3 finger to scroll up/down to the top/bottom of the page. This used to work in Leopard and now in SL it does not work. this feature still works in firefox

2) In the URL box, why do I have to click 3 times to select the whole thing and then enter a new URL. Vs one click like in FF, opera. I use cmd + L but this is just not fun.

3) Why does the safari close button on each tab become invisible when the mouse pointer goes away.

4) Why is Safari On SL taking so much of memory + it allocates separate process/memory for plugins. Hopefully the new update may mean less crashes.

I'm new to Mac OS X and have been an avid firefox user. I am not even talking about the extension, I thought I could sacrifice the love for some of the extensions to swtich to safari but some of these minor frustrations keep me going back to Fireofx

2. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Because if the mouse pointer is not present, there is no need for a clickable close button... is there? :rolleyes:

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Click the fav-icon to the left of the URL also selects the whole thing.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Don't have a Macbook but this sounds like a bug.

Matter of preference. I abhor browsers that select the whole URL by clicking up there because MOST of the time if I'm clicking in the URL I want to select just part of it! Otherwise I'd use Command L, or click the favicon, or click and drag upwards to select the whole thing, or triple click.

Reduces interface clutter. Why does it need to be visible?

Yes, it means less crashes. In Safari 64-bit in SL, plugins are spun off into separate processes so that if one crashes *cough*flash*cough* it doesn't bring the whole browser down. Different from Chrome's "each tab is its own process" but much better than nothing.

5. LoCarbHotrod macrumors member

Always learning something new. I never knew you could just click on the favicon to select the whole bar of text.

One reason why I love Safari is the dictionary feature. Just hover your mouse over any word and press Cmd+Ctrl+D.

6. dumb thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply guys.

I guess I can cross of the 3 clicks, I will click favicon. (but does anyone have a command line pref for that ?... )
    And the close botton fading out, I'll have to live with that. its like complaining why close buttons are on left and not right...haha

the dictonary thing is cool, I guess I need to learn more features abt safari that firefox does not have. So that way i can swtich. IF you have other neat features, plz do share.

P.S 3 finger scroll up/down the page still not working :S

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

That dictionary feature works system-wide. ;)

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I use Firefox for my online college and safari for everything else. Safari
    for me loads faster and operates smoother, while Firefox lets me log into
    my school. For 98% of my browsing I am satisfied with Safari. Why
    choose one or the other? They both have a nice little spot next to eachother
    on my dock, and they play nice together. :D

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I prefer Safari, but it doesn't have any useful features that Firefox doesn't. FF just feels clunky to me.

A command line pref for what? Do you mean something like this?

defaults write com.apple.safari ...

Or are you talking about keyboard shortcuts? In that case, it's just command+L. I use it when I need to copy and paste a URL, for example into tr.im, just command+L command+C.

Edit: But if you don't want to use Safari, don't.

10. dumb thread starter macrumors member

ya I was talking about a terminal command. Instead of having to click 3 times in URL box to highlight the whole thing and type a new URL, do one click to select all. Like in Firefox.

I agree FF's layout is kind of lame, not as sleek as safari or chrome. And I love the top site feat on safari too.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not that I know of, no. Just use the favicon or command+L.

12. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Use whatever you like. It's a matter of personal preference. My preference is Google Chrome. Faster than anything else.

you can enable the dev menu and make safari spoof firefox. Safari is the most compatible browser out there, so it should work anyway.

http://www.google.com/search?q=enable+developer+safari

13. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

thanks!

14. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I learned a couple of things from this thread. I didn't know about clicking the favicon nor the dictionary shortcut. Thank you.