Why use vBulletin over PHPBB3?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dmmcintyre3, Aug 1, 2009.

1. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I cannot seem to figure out why vBulletin is better. The only thing I see that I do not have on my PHPBB3 board is the paid subscriptions and calendars. I really do not think I will be using them for my uses. Why would I want to use vB?

vB seems more outdated to me.

2. shesmu macrumors newbie

3. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

phpBB3 is actually very powerful. I was surprised when I saw how many features that had been added since phpBB2. I've never worked closely with vB, but I've never felt that it had a great advantage (and I've never had the money to shell out for a license).

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

phpbb doesn't appear to have a wysiwyg editor...

5. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Security and support, mainly. If you're being paid to do something, you've got to do it right, otherwise, you'll lose customers. phpBB has many security flaws. Also, if something goes wrong, or you need help, all you can do is post on the phpBB forums. Not so with vB.

Also, you should take a look at their administration panel. I had also been interested in forum software a long time ago, and I've got to test each of them. The administration panel for IPB and vB is FAR MORE COMPLEX than the phpBB's one.

6. dmmcintyre3 thread starter macrumors 68020

PHPBB or vBulletin or others?

Why would you use a pay for forum software over phpBB? I have played with both (I run a phpBB 3 board and have played with the vB demo) I really do not understand why vB is better.

Lots of stuff in vB is using tables instead of css when phpBB 3 is not in any place not even the admin. (that I can find) vB even uses frames in the admin / moderator control panels.

7. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Are you asking for recommendations?

Don't use PHPBB. It's way too hackable. It will get hacked instantly. I have tried setting one up several times and it starts getting spammed heavily in just a few days.

Try MyBB instead. It's less well-known so I would imagine hackers are less trained to break it. Plus it has a MUCH better CAPTCHA than PHPBB has.

To answer your 2nd question, I imagine that vBulletin offers technical support or better performance. But who knows... I sure don't.+

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not Available already answered your question.