Why VM?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by XP-User77, Nov 6, 2009.

1. XP-User77 macrumors newbie

I am interested,why dont more people dual-boot Windows and OS X instead of using a VM? It gives you %100 of the power of your Mac and allows all of the functions that it would on a PC.

so why not?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Because needing to say, test your website on IE8 doesn't require 100% of your computer.

3. XP-User77 thread starter macrumors newbie

True,and IE is just a tracker cookie storage,toolbar,and Microsoft spyware utility that also happens to be able to render web pages

4. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

also some poeple dont want to have to reboot their mac every time they use windows

5. XP-User77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah,but it can take less then a minute if your using a well maintained OS X install and a XP install.

but with vista or 7 i can understand this reason.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have Win 7 running on one machine as a dual-boot and on another within a VM. Win 7 boots considerably faster than Vista I will say.

The VM is nice for the reasons mentioned and also the " unity modes" of Fusion or the new Crystal mode of Parallels is really nice.

You basically run Windows apps without ever leaving OS X.

7. rowsdower macrumors 6502

It takes much more than a minute to start everything that I need once I get to Windows, and then shut it all down again, reboot, and start everything I need once I get to OS X. With a virtual machine I can leave my OS X programs running and load a saved Windows state, which also probably has the programs I need running already.