Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2004
I just started a thread asking for advice on how to sell a broken laptop. I was asking how to put in on eBay, and I wasn't trying to sell it here. Why was my post deleted? What rule have I broken?

Edit: OK, I see the rule now. But sheesh, you could help a newbie out by letting him know why the post was deleted and what the appropriate course of action is.

JazzOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2004
You've been on the forums for 5 years and haven't familiarized yourself with the rules?

I only post here when I have problems. I have never offended anyone on any forum, so I rarely read 10 pages of rules just to find out that I should be nice to people. I guess you haven't learned that lesson yet.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
FWIW, the rules have changed a bit over the years.

OP: your post was completely OK in general, but broke the rules that were added because others abused the "price check" options before in fraudulent ways, causing us to have to eliminate the option for everyone without many posts or a tenure here.

JazzOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2004

OP: your post was completely OK in general, but broke the rules that were added because others abused the "price check" options before in fraudulent ways, causing us to have to eliminate the option for everyone without many posts or a tenure here.

I see. Well, that's too bad because I have always made serious posts on this forum, but I am nowhere near 250. I seriously need some advice about selling my machine. Is there no recourse? I don't have the requisite post count, but I've been a member for a long time without any complaints, spam, trolling, or flames.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

Perhaps that line should be added to the the rules as an explanation of why asking for price is not allowed. It happens so frequently.

JazzOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2004
I personally think the entire set of rules needs to be more concise. I'm suppose to read 2000 words to find the 25 that apply to my post? This problem is pervasive among most internet forums. The rules are typically long-winded, obvious, and in many cases unnecessary. I understand the rationale for this particular rule though.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Yes but without having the obvious rules people would disobey them as they are not there!

You could try out http://www.mac2sell.net/ to value your mac or look somewhere like here to find out the price of new parts.

You might want to think about reducing your prices by 25%+ as they are no where near new but see what you can get.

JazzOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Yes but without having the obvious rules people would disobey them as they are not there!

You could try out http://www.mac2sell.net/ to value your mac or look somewhere like here to find out the price of new parts.

You might want to think about reducing your prices by 25%+ as they are no where near new but see what you can get.

If someone is inclined to spam this board or flame another poster, I seriously doubt the pages of rules are going to stop them. The rules should be pithy for the people who actually care to contribute to forum within the guidelines.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
As it also states in the rules:

If your post was removed, there was a reason for it; review these rules because one of them applies to your post or a previous post (because when a post is removed, posts that quote it or reply to it are often removed as well).
If you have a specific argument or issue concerning moderation, submit a Contact form giving details, for review by an administrator. You can appeal administrator decisions by emailing arn at webmaster@macrumors.com.
And in this thread, about how to contact moderators:

Do not use the Site and Forum Feedback for personal or moderation issues, since forum moderation is handled privately. If you ask "Why was my post deleted?" in a thread, you'll get the same general answer every time: a forum rule was violated. If you want specifics about a particular case, Contact Us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.