Why was Orange Smart cover discontinued?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LeandrodaFL, Sep 13, 2012.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

The orange color is no longer avialable. Why Apple discontinued it? Is there a legal reason behind it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It was discontinued almost a year ago. Apple never stated why, but it could have been because that was the least popular colour and Apple wanted to keep the colour options at an even number when they introduced some new colours.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

4. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I actually thought the orange was a brilliant color!

5. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I too would have liked to have gotten the orange cover, now that I have an iPad that could be used with it. Unfortunately, it's no longer being sold and I got the Product (red) smart case instead. I thought of either the cover or the case, and decided to go with the case.

I wish they would have gotten rid of pink rather than orange.

6. iarti macrumors newbie

In an ecosystem Apple had to kill Orange to thrive.

7. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

8. bryan85 macrumors regular

I was very disappointed they discontinued the color a couple of months before I bought my iPad. I got the green one instead... :(

9. brewno macrumors 6502

Of all the options at the time, I took the orange one. I didn't like the black/silver, the baby blue looked terrible (the one they used at the ad). The green was OK, but the orange with a white iPad looked amazing. So I took it. And when I sold it to my father, he hated the colour. I guess it's a matter of taste, eh?

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Better question: Why are all the colors I really like the $40 more leather ones? I settled for green, but I really wanted the red one. I had no interest in spending another $40 for leather. That can buy you almost two lattes at Starbucks you know.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Just checked eBay and many (used) are available at less than retail, so it hasn't become collectable quite yet.

12. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Just be careful on eBay, I would say for every 1 genuine smart cover, there are 5-6 fake ones.

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Um, the Orange cover

Grew to many leaves, left juice all over, the pink cover touts Breast Cancer Awareness, but that's just my take on it, total BS;)

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

It was for the iPad 2. When they released the iPad 3, it came with all new colors. The packaging also reflects the new iPad. So like most manufactures they generally repackage and put newer colors based on previous sales. Or based on supposedly popular colors. You will see the same in clothing. Orange was very in with a lot of other items.

if you need to locate one, then look for the mfr part no. # MC945LL/A

Also, the colors that are out aren't the same as the previous colors.

Check this Green for iPad 2/3 Mfr. Part # MD457LL/A

http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MD457LL_SL_A/

Green for iPad 2 Mfr. Part # MD309LL/A

http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MD309LL_SL_A/

15. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

One of the reasosn why I wanted Orange was because its more unique. The Blue is kinda childish, and the navy blue is leather, wich not only I dislike visually, its more expensive.

16. Signor S. macrumors member

If I had to guess I would say it would be to lack of sales. Profit is what drives a business and if something isn't making money or selling, than its got to go.