Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
What was the strategy behind having the keynote so far ahead of the actual apple watch release?

I feel like people lose some of their enthusiasm when the keynote and release are so far apart. The iPhone preorder/keynotes are usually 1 week apart where people don't lose that momentum of hype.

Was there some specific android wear device they were trying to compete with?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
It's just how Apple rolls with first generation products.
They did the same thing with:
  • iPad (1st generation)
  • iPhone (1st generation)

And probably other products that I'm too young to remember.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
If you're referring to the September keynote, the generally accepted reason is that, similar to announcing the original iPhone in January 2007, they didn't want it to leak through supply chain or regulatory filings, and there is no risk of cannibalizing sales of any existing product since it's the first of its kind.

If you're referring to March 9, that's a little less clear. Here are some theories I've heard on various podcasts and blogs. Any of them seem equally plausible or implausible...

- Maybe they originally intended to ship in late March or early April and couldn't easily change the booking for Yerba Buena for the keynote
- Maybe they wanted to give review units to fashion publications, particularly print magazines, which most likely have a longer lead time
- Maybe they wanted reviewers to have more time to "live with" the watch rather than just a week or two
- Maybe they feel like an entirely new product category needs longer to marinate in the public consciousness vs. "just an updated iPhone" where everyone already knows what to expect
- Maybe they needed the extra time to renovate the retail stores and train the retail employees, but wanted to get ahead of any leaks that might result from that
- Maybe they felt like the extra time would create more buzz, despite whether that has actually happened or not

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
What was the strategy behind having the keynote so far ahead of the actual apple watch release?

I feel like people lose some of their enthusiasm when the keynote and release are so far apart. The iPhone preorder/keynotes are usually 1 week apart where people don't lose that momentum of hype.

Was there some specific android wear device they were trying to compete with?

Apple wants to be the one to reveal the products they work so hard on and they absolutely despite leaks (recall the "doubling down on leaks").

The only way they can pull this off is to reveal it as early as possible in the pre-production before all the suppliers get all the finalized designs. That means having to reveal it 6-12 months in advance.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
As others said, it depends on which keynote you mean. The September one is obvious. Get the news out before it leaks out. The March event, really wasn't an :apple:Watch event. It was for the MacBook. The watch was just tacked onto the end. I also think that the :apple:Watch was probably intended to be ready sooner than the current release date. Even going from September to late April is a bit much for a 1st gen product announcement. I suspect they were probably aiming more for March or possibly even February, and just missed, but the venues were booked.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I think it was, at least in part, because Android Wear was getting some attention and Apple wanted to nip that in the bud.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I do think Apple was a bit premature. But then again it's Apple, a company that's on a roll, getting the benefit of the doubt at every turn, and seemingly unstoppable at this point. Fat with immense cash reserves they are assured a very long period of prosperity.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If you're referring to the September keynote, the generally accepted reason is that, similar to announcing the original iPhone in January 2007, they didn't want it to leak through supply chain or regulatory filings,
Because Apple wanted to reveal it, not the FCC

The FCC thing was a mostly bogus excuse, since the exposure of most information can be controlled by requesting confidentiality until the sales date. The rest can be controlled by not submitting until much nearer the sales date.

(The FCC doesn't do any testing. When you submit your request, you've already paid someone to do the testing, so you've already ironed out the kinks. The FCC part is just paperwork.)

As for supply chain leaks, heck, in Nov 2006 it was being reported that Foxconn had gotten an order for millions of iPhones. That was two months before Jobs revealed its existence in Jan 2007.

I think it was, at least in part, because Android Wear was getting some attention and Apple wanted to nip that in the bud.

Yes, part of it was surely that Apple wanted to keep people holding back through the holiday season and Valentine's. It's the smart move to make.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.