Why Watch OS's design proves iPhone should use LED-based displays

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by darkgoob, Jul 29, 2015.

1. darkgoob macrumors 6502

One major objection I had to iOS 7's removal of iOS 6 design elements is that they were replaced with a barren, blinding, plain, stark face-roll of whiteness. It felt like going from a nicely-lit cafe into a fluorescent-lit doctor's office waiting room. Cold. Clinical. A few items for children in the corner. Some expensive furniture and a nice view, but just doesn't feel inviting. About to get my pulse checked.

I criticized this use of white as actually not being minimalistic at all, but rather, maximalistic. The minimum RGB value is <0,0,0>, which is black, not white. A true minimalistic interface on a backlit screen should therefore be based on black, like dpreview.com is.

So when Apple Watch debuted, I noticed they went from stark white permeating the design, to jet black! Funny, that was a suggestion I made here, and I just want to say thank you to Apple for using black there, instead of white. Not that I think Apple actually reads these forums.

Of course this begs the question of why iOS remains white, even in 9. Why can't there be a black version? Inverting colors using Accessibility sucks; images turn negative, icons turn negative, and it all feels alien. There should be a night mode but there isn't.

It dawned on me that perhaps Apple, being the perfectionists they are, don't want to use a black-based interface on non-AMOLED screens. You see, on AMOLED displays like the watch, black really is black. There is no backlight. But on IPS (LCD) displays, the backlight is on whether the pixel is black or white. Perfectionists like Apple might feel black would look kind of cheesy in that case, or at least be a philosophically impure black.

Maybe if they went AMOLED at some point with the iOS devices, they would go black with iOS's scheme. Until then, however, I wish they'd have a platinum gray option, like in the old days... So much easier on the eyes. Maybe it's just me though.

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

WatchOS is black to save on battery. Black = no power to pixel = less battery used.

3. devinthomas macrumors regular

iPhone 7 introduces QHD Super AMOLED screens & iOS 10 brings dark mode, which can be enabled at all times but is also triggered by Low Power Mode

[/fanfiction]

4. windywalks macrumors 6502

I hope that by the time the AMOLED display equipped iPhone debuts with this technology, it is actually up to snuff in terms of color accuracy and image retention or lack thereof.
    It's been years and years since OLED screen technology has had its mainstream introduction and yet it still has a lot of caveats that need to be dealt with.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

i dont think thats true

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Black pixels on amoled screens are turned completely off. Thus no power to it and less energy consumption. That is why watchOS UI is mostly black. To save on energy used for its tiny battery.

7. windywalks macrumors 6502

It actually does, since it's the principal method of energy conservation on all AMOLED devices and the reason why, for example, Lumias can have an always-on watch scrolling through the screen in stand-by mode without a major impact on battery life as opposed to an always-on watch on an LED display.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

oh nevermind i had no idea the Apple Watch has a AMOLED screen

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

That's NOT what Minimalism means in art/design. It's not about 0s, it's about not being busy. iOS's whitespace would be no less or no more "minimalistic" if you changed the color. What matters is the elements.

10. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Perfect analogy! I have not read/heard a better description of how it feels going from iOS 6 to iOS 7 design.

However, I don't exactly hate the iOS 7 design. I like parts of it, and hate others. Same deal with iOS 6. My main gripe is the performance of the newly designed UI. It stutters and lags in places where it shouldn't. At all. Simple things. Sending a message. Turning the keyboard. Control Center over the keyboard. Turning the App Store. Spotlight Search.

Also, the quirkiness. You may do the same action every time, but it may not yield the same exact animation/performance every time like it should. Things randomly decide to behave normally, and randomly decide to do the opposite.

I think that the current UI could definitely work better if they adjusted the following:

Animations. The current ones are overdoing it. I like the animation in iOS 9 for tapping a search result or a banner, the smooth slide to the right. Any kind of change would tone things down and freshen things up/improve performance. Main issue I really am talking about is the app open/close and unlock animation.

Icons. Current ones are too flat. The design language in OS X with slightly round/beveled icons looks a lot better in my opinion.

Drop shadows. There aren't enough. Everything sort of is jammed together as of now. Wallpapers often look terrible due to zero distinction between the icons and the wallpaper.

Translucency. There's too much of it. Take it out of everything except the dock, folders, control center, Siri, and Notification Center. Everywhere else is unnecessary and it causes performance problems.

White. Too much white. Somehow find a way to make it work without being so jarring, or add a dark mode. Oh, and call me weird, but I think straight up black is too dark. I think a very dark gray/almost slightly navy tone looks a bit better. It would be a waste of energy for an AMOLED display if the UI were to be dark but not black, however. So black it is, if dark mode happens in iOS.

And on top of it all, optimize, optimize, optimize! Good UI runs at a solid framerate of 60FPS, not jumping down below that for any reason. If the frame rate is dropping, the UI is causing too much stress on the system, or it is just terribly made.

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Here's what Ive said in that New Yorker profile:

My guess is once iPhone goes OLED there will be a dark option.

12. billy the fish Suspended

The galaxy s6 screen is simply beautiful.. Qhd super amoled looks amazing regardless of how colour perfect it is in lab conditions.., it really is the future of mobile displays.