Why we are getting blueray Tuesday

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Vapor, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Vapor macrumors member

I like most were wowed when SJ showed us the AVCHD camera that he used in Imovie. I went out and bought one and like most soon discovered I had no way to watch these edited HD movies on my brand new Plasma. Well I solved this by using my XBOX 360 and 360 connect software, not a very elegant solution but where there is a will there is a way. Now if we get Blue Ray we will be able to burn to disc and watch on the plasma. One of the reasons blue ray is so cool is, you can burn native AVCHD files to a regular dvd and it will play high Def on a BLue ray playeror PS3. We will need software solutions to convert our AIC codec back to native AVCHD, if it can even be done, or we need for final cut to edit the AVCHD files natively. The later being the best route with small file sizes and excellent quality. It has bothered me for some time that Jobs pushed AVCHD with Imovie. They knew the limitations of the technology at the time but pumped it up anyway. So maybe they knew we would be heading towards bluray. I as an early adopter don't mind paying the price. I am on the other hand hoping for an elegant solution for AVCHD and Bluray.

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I hope you are right, Vapor, I hope the Bluray option is not just some vapor-ware (no pun intended ;) )

- Martin

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Blu-ray is not even supported in the current version of DVD Studio. You will see Blu-ray at NAB 08 in April at the earliest.

Apple has to support it on the Pro side first.

4. David G. macrumors 65816

Don't get mad at me or anything, I just thought this was funny.
    "blueray"
    "Blue Ray"
    "BLue ray"
    "Bluray"
    "Blu-ray"
    Witch/which is it?:rolleyes::cool:

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

If it's not in the Mac Pros right now, we need to wait a few months, maybe until NAB in April.

6. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

It is Blu-ray. As you can tell I am still a little angry about purchasing the HDDVD player for the XBOX. I just love the fact it connects to my new Imac and is recognized but doesn't function.......but that is for another post.;)

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I came very close to buying that drive for my 360 but wasn't going to try it on the Mac. Still look at the bright side, by this summer you will likely find lots of HD movies in the clearance bin :)

I would guess we'll eventually see a BR drive for the 360 too.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't understand the panic. Sure, it will be great when Apple ships BluRays internally, but there are BluRay solutions (internal and external) available right now!

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think they are hoping for software support. Mac OS X Leopard does not support Blu-ray playback and DVD Studio Pro does not support BD disc authoring.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And Apple monitors and GFX cards (AFAIK) are not HDCP compliant.

Lethal

11. jdmlight macrumors regular

I thought the Radeon 2600 Pro in the new iMacs (like mine) were HDCP-compliant. Could be wrong... (but I sure hope not)

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Every time you say "Blue-ray", Howard Stringer kills a puppy.
    Please, think of the puppies.

Also, it helps if you try using punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. I know, I know, feels so 3nd grade, doesn't it?

Anyway, if you export the movies to H.264 and 720p you should be able to stream them to the AppleTV with no problem.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Blu-ray will not be coming tomarow, because the Mac Pros will get it first, and those were just updated.

14. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

I was not aware that apple tv supported HD. I don't have one anyway.

IF YOU CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING!

I learned that in the third grade.

I am glad MY comments made you feel superior for.......oh, about a second. Doesn't last long does it.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can successfully play HD DVDs on my MBP under Boot Camp. Is BR's copy protection more stringent?

16. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

What drive are you using?

17. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Blue Ray & HD-DVD. For the common man it doesn't mean @#!#. Take it for what its worth but I think people are just getting around to HD TV and don't have a clue to what comes next. The jury is still out.

yes I said Blue Ray.

18. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

Please explain to us common folk.

No Blu-ray that sucks...............

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm using the 360 USB drive, which is actually a Toshiba of some description.