Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ewu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
Software compatibility has problem in Big Sur. as far as I know there are a few software that haven't adapter to Big Sur yet.

at lease my current major development machine are running mac os Catalina.

now we have another new beta mac os, while Big Sur 11.5 is in beta version.

Will we have Mac OS 13 or 14 very soon next year?

Reactions: junkw

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
basically, apple releases a new os every september or october every year. The betas for devs, and testing start rolling out in June every year. Apple supports the newest OS and the previous 2. So Ya macOS Monterey will be beta tested and come out most likly in september, then June 2022 we will get betas for 13. In between they still beta test the .x releases like 11.1 111.2 etc

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
If there's software not compatible with Big Sur, the developers are lazy or just gave up on that application working in macOS 11. There's no excuse at this point. They've had a year.

As the previous poster said, it's been common for a long time now for Apple to release a new OS every year. Developers get 3-4 months to get their stuff ready for the public release. Most have it ready in time, others shortly after. Of course there are some things that change or break every beta release and developers need to rework all of that (depending on the app).

To answer your question, yes, OS 13 will more than likely be shown at WWDC 2022 and released in the fall.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Or Apple has made the transition impossible. I'm speaking of CCC or SD. I own both and need to be able to clone boot discs. Something I have not been able to do in 11.5 beta 2?

Lou

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
If Apple has changed the system as such that the devs can no longer do what they used to, then they need to adapt and learn the new way to do it, plain and simple. Apple makes the changes they need to for the benefit of their ecosystem, its their rules. The code is not going to stagnate forever, and macOS is going to evolve. You either evolve with it or die out like the dinosaurs. Its not like Tim woke up one day and said "Screw Bombich lets block their way of working just because!"

Reactions: pshufd

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
Software compatibility has problem in Big Sur. as far as I know there are a few software that haven't adapter to Big Sur yet.

at lease my current major development machine are running mac os Catalina.

now we have another new beta mac os, while Big Sur 11.5 is in beta version.

Will we have Mac OS 13 or 14 very soon next year?
You must be new here.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Apple wants to sell new hardware and by releasing new OS updates they get the chance every year to decide whether or not to cut off any hardware from getting the latest new software. A few years later the previous release no longer gets security updates so governments, businesses, schools etc. that won't use devices no longer getting security updates get rid of the old Macs and buy new ones whereas if Apple provided the latest software for 10 year old Macs some of these would keep using them rather than go and buy new ones.

Reactions: idktbh and jaymc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.