Why? Why put such an inferior LCD in the 20" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Grokgod, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Here is what I am trying to understand.

Why would Apple make such a foolish business decision to put inferior LCD's into the 20" iMac, when it's obvious that they will be sued for misleading their loyal customers.

On the Apple website it clearly states the specs for the iMac's LCD.

Contrast ratios are at:

800:1 on the 20" and 750:1 on the 24"
    I find this bizarre, since i have both units the difference are VERY obvious and do not reflect these number.

I think that contrast ratio means ALOT!

Look at any LCD television with low and high contrast ratios and you will see a HUGE difference, its a very important spec that tells you what the unit is capable of displaying.

Of course its in relationship to viewing angles.

Of which the 20" lcd is sadly weak in both areas, extremely so.

The 20" viewing angle just plain SUCKs bad! You can't move your head more than an inch or two without areas of the screen blurring out.

Again, considering the state of development and lowered costs of decent LCD's in the market now, it is really hard to understand the need to put such a poor LCD in the 20" iMac.

Apple is very much a success story and certainly can afford to deliver quality products at the low end to their loyal customers.

It's in poor taste to do such a thing and Apple will feel the backlash.

Considering the newest lawsuit levied against them for the lies in advertising about the 20" iMac's LCD.

What i am trying to grasp here is, what is Job's thinking?
    All the effort to create this new world of Apple computing only to sully the reputation of the company to save a few paltry dollars.

Even if it adds up to millions.
    What of the backlash and cost of defending such foolish tactics.
    Certainly the cons out weigh the pros, here.
    In bad press alone.

Even bad Windows machines have better LCD's.

We all know Jobs is a smart guy, a very smart guy.

What in the world is the motivation, that is what I want to know.
    What am I missing here?

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

maybe, the easy ui of macs attracts customers who could care less. Seems dumb to you and me, but I doubt my mom would ever question it. I think the point also to be noted is the iMac is technically not a pro system and just trying to reach out to the average consumer. Sure they could add a better screen I guess, but it gives a good selling point to buy the more expensive 24".

3. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

I think Apple, and specifically Steve Jobs thinks that most average people are idiots and won't notice a thing and will just lick up whatever the spit out of their mouths.

4. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Those are two viable rationalizations but...

People do notice thats why there is a lawsuit pending against Apple concerning just this issue.
    So despite the fact that there are many who would never know anything unless it was pointed out to them, my sister is an example.
    She thought it was amazing then someone pointed out how horrible it is and now she hates it. LOL

The point is that we don't live in a vacuum anymore and the internet tells all and then the word get around.

Why bother with my needless suits, I know that Apple has lawyers on hold for such events, but still, it isn't cost effective.

As for the second point, is it possible that Jobs has been corrupted by his power and enjoys to milk ever last dollar from his patrons?

That would be a sad comment on what I have considered a truly intelligent and considerate business man.

I mean Jobs has considered the Green effect for computers and various other things that most companies care nothing of.

It is hard to swallow such a callous agenda from Apple.

I recognize that in the past certain parts were always of lesser quality but i put that down to a faltering company making up for small revenues.

But now, that doesn't fit.

5. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

White iMac 20" last year was over £1000 - it's now £799, faster and made of aluminium - something had to give! They seem to be selling a lot more of them at £799...£1000 is a lot of money for a computer when in reality most people get a crappy monitor for their £500 computer...the iMac monitors are by no means bad it's just that your expecting it to be as good as the previous £1000+ iMac...