Why why why??? (access music on iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Jan 13, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

...on gods earth can't we access music stored on the iphone through itunes?

I still don't understand why they removed this feature from the iphone/ itunes when it's possible with the ipod.

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I also think this is another silly arbitrary decision. My guess is it is somehow tied to the fact that one can only "sync" files. Perhaps the feature introduced software problems so they cut it?

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I really don't understand the thinking with not allowing manual management of music and videos (and the accompanying playing from the device) on the iPhone. It becomes even more baffling when you realise that the almost identical iPod touch does support this functionality!
    Hopefully it will be addressed in a future update (probably needs an iTunes update)

4. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I am guessing it has to do with accessing everything else on the iPhone. If they opened up that area it would be easier to open the phone to add apps and such. Easier to jailbreak. And concidering their actions to reverse the ability to jailbreak your phone with updates it makes sense.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

But as I said above, you can do this with the iPod touch (I know because my daughter's got one), even though it doesn't allow disk access, so the anti-jailbreaking theory doesn't really hold up.