Why widescreen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finnschi, Oct 28, 2009.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    So why is Widescreen better than the "old" 4:3 aspect ratio? I haven't seen a website/document where content is arranged 16:9, is this seriously JUST for movies???

I just started using my old Thinkpad t60 again, and its 15" whcih feels allot bigger than my 15.4" MacBook Pro....

who exactly needs widescreen :confused:

andy why are they still measure monitors in inch wouldn't it make more sense to do a Pixel/cm^2 ?? plain cm^2 would be better as well :mad:
  2. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Human vision is "widescreen". That is, people without visual impairment see more side-to-side than top-to-bottom. Therefore, widescreen lends itself better to how we see.
  3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2003
    Because they are not the same. A measurement in inches lets you know how diagonally large the screen physically is. The resolution measurement lets you know how many pixels. It's possible to have a smaller screen with a denser pixel count than a screen that is physically larger but with a lower or same resolution.
  4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2009
    Is this really a serious topic?

Does anyone actually prefer working on a perfectly square screen?
  5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I feel as though I can be more productive with a widescreen. You're not supposed to have windows fullscreened, you're supposed to able to see everything that you're working on at the same time. I scatter my windows next to each other because I have the real estate to do so. It kills me when I see someone with a 1080p monitor and they have their internet browser fullscreened. What a waste.
  6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2003
    Amen to that! A few of my co-workers browse the web in fullscreen, across a 27" display!
  7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    A big reason for widescreen is to watch movies in 16.9 like you see in theaters. It's the same thing for new TVs - virtually all are widescreen.