Why widescreen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finnschi, Oct 28, 2009.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

So why is Widescreen better than the "old" 4:3 aspect ratio? I haven't seen a website/document where content is arranged 16:9, is this seriously JUST for movies???

I just started using my old Thinkpad t60 again, and its 15" whcih feels allot bigger than my 15.4" MacBook Pro....

who exactly needs widescreen :confused:

andy why are they still measure monitors in inch wouldn't it make more sense to do a Pixel/cm^2 ?? plain cm^2 would be better as well :mad:

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Human vision is "widescreen". That is, people without visual impairment see more side-to-side than top-to-bottom. Therefore, widescreen lends itself better to how we see.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Because they are not the same. A measurement in inches lets you know how diagonally large the screen physically is. The resolution measurement lets you know how many pixels. It's possible to have a smaller screen with a denser pixel count than a screen that is physically larger but with a lower or same resolution.

4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Is this really a serious topic?

Does anyone actually prefer working on a perfectly square screen?

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I feel as though I can be more productive with a widescreen. You're not supposed to have windows fullscreened, you're supposed to able to see everything that you're working on at the same time. I scatter my windows next to each other because I have the real estate to do so. It kills me when I see someone with a 1080p monitor and they have their internet browser fullscreened. What a waste.

6. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Amen to that! A few of my co-workers browse the web in fullscreen, across a 27" display!

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

A big reason for widescreen is to watch movies in 16.9 like you see in theaters. It's the same thing for new TVs - virtually all are widescreen.