Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I am in the process of setting up a base model MBP 13" (2.26, 2gb, 160 etc) for my girlfriend to use. I would like to give her my old 80gb X25-M G1 SSD to use in it.

I attached the SSD via USB and formatted it in Disk Utility then replaced the stock HDD with it and booted from the 10.6 DVD. The drive was not found by the installer. I opened the Disk Utility from the 10.6 DVD and the SSD was not found. I opened system profiler and it was not listed under the SATA devices.

I then removed the SSD, replaced the stock HDD and booted into 10.6. I attached the SSD via USB and installed 10.6 to it that way. I then replaced the HDD with the SSD and powered the MBP on. It booted to the 'Drive Error' graphic (blinking folder with a question mark).

The same SSD has worked in 2 other unibody MBP's (late 2008 15" and 2009 17") without issue. It has firmware 8820 installed (latest as per Intel.com). The MBP 13" has all software updates installed.

Any suggestions or ideas?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
When I replaced my HDD with an Intel X25, I used carbon copy cloner to make a clone of my current HDD to the new SSD. Then I swapped drives and my MBP booted right up... except faster.

/Jim

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Reset SMC/PRAM... no improvement! :(

EDIT:

New info:

Tried CCC again and cloned original drive to the freshly partitioned ssd. Installed, saw the apple logo flicker rapidly to a circle with a slash in it then after about 1 minute got a kernal panic with the following message:

Panic(CPU 0 caller 0x559b29): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cop:1389

Returned original drive to the internal bay and booted up fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.