Why will you not buy the iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alphaod, Jun 22, 2008.

?

The main reason I won't buy an iPhone 3G is

1. the phone is too expensive

5.5%
  2. the phone plans are too expensive

58.2%
  3. I don't like Apple

1.8%
  4. I already have a superior device

9.1%
  5. I only buy unlocked phones

5.5%
  6. Other (please specify)

20.0%
  1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just want an idea of people who don't want an iPhone 3G for one reason or another, whether it be price, hate for AT&T, etc.

Please don't bother if you're going to buy an iPhone 3G because this isn't a "should I buy" thread.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Older T-Mobile plan comes in cheaper, with over twice the minutes, and twice the messages, and only need EDGE ($20/month with hotspots).

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Sure about that? :rolleyes:

T-Mobile - myFaves 300 300 $39.99
    AT&T - 450 Minutes (Nation) $39.99

So for the cheapest plan, it's pretty much the same. Even though you get to call 5 people unlimited, you still get M2M with AT&T.. and an extra 150 minutes.

And I would only need EDGE if i had an only EDGE phone. Too bad T-Mobile doesn't have 3G about.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Haven't decided yet but going without my NEXTEL push to talk is the only downfall, otherwise I would have switched with the first version. I really do use the NEXTEL push to talk a LOT with my work but I am contemplating going without just because the iPhone is soo cool.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

You left out the most important reason - the iPhone 3G doesn't bring anything new that I need over the current iPhone. I see no reason to upgrade, but I do see reasons not to upgrade (data plans more expensive, data plans supposedly required now, etc).

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

He said older. The grandfathered plans from back in the day sometimes have thousands of minutes at $25 or so. I used to have one of those plans.

7. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned, at this point, my current iPhone (for the money) is better than the 3G version.

8. Divindude macrumors member

not enough net new to justify the expense .. current phone works just fine :)

9. buckeye17 macrumors member

MyFaves is a ripoff... I'd rather get the 600-minute, $39.99 plan with mobile-to-mobile and whatnot.

10. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

11. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Previous experience with Cingular/AT&T and the inability to tether the iPhone3G "legally" as a modem for my laptop.

12. danny_w macrumors 601

No 3G coverage in Austin, TX either.

13. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Those are my sentiments exactly. I thought EDGE would majorly suck, but it hasn't so therefore I cannot justify adding $15.00 to a already bloated AT&T rate plan just for 3G.

Jude

Edited to add: Current gen is a show-stopper in the looks department and the 3G appears so-so at this point.