Why Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fitto13, Feb 12, 2010.

1. fitto13 macrumors member

Excuse the complete lack of understanding. but;

Other than gaming, Why would one need to have windows on the mac?

I am going to be purchasing my first mac ever when the MBP gets refreshed and haven't seen any of my friends with macs have windows booted (not computer guru's by any standard - nor am I)

So what reasons would I want to have windows if I don't do any gaming?

This isn't a mac vs windows question to spark a debate either :p
    I'd just like to know some of the things you guys are using windows for that you can't do on the OS X.

Regards.

2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Some programs only work on a PC, and they can be much more powerfull etc than their Mac counterparts.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some use it for proprietary work software
    A special program not available for Mac
    MS Office strict compatibility
    Web Development and browser comparison

There are a number of reasons

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. fitto13 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, the more reading I'm doing on them, the more I don't seem to want one....it's unfortunate because the trackpad was amazing....haha, couldn't get over it compared to other laptops and i loved the OS X from what i've tried.

but, if i have to switch to windows everytime i want to use 'ms word strict compatible' things or a 'program that runs better on a pc' then whats the point?

damn :(

i really wanted one too, but i don't want the hassle that comes with. it seems like not installing windows isn't really a viable option.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Virtually everything you can do on a Windows PC you can do equally well on a Mac, they are just 2 different operating systems

Most Windows programs have a Mac version or a Mac equivalent

There is a MS Office for the Mac as well as Open Office and Neo Office
    In addition there is iWork
    This is sufficient for most users and the compatibility is good, just not exact

However, having said that... a sleek trackpad is not really a good reason to switch
    Just sayin'

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

:confused: First you couldn't think of a thing you'd need Windows for, now you think you can't live without it ? :D

By the way, even different versions of Office on Windows aren't 'strict compatible'...

EDIT: What I use or have used Windows for: Visual Studio (programming) / AVR Studio (microcontroller programming) / testing / that's basically it

7. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Well you haven't provided detail on why you would actually need Windows. Lots of people don't - I can get by using Office for Mac and/or iWork, and if there aren't any programs that you need which would run only on a PC, then why prevent yourself buying an :apple: just because other people say that they need it to run Windows as well as OSX?

8. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Exactly!!!!! :rolleyes:

9. MikeT125 macrumors regular

I am an Engineer and 99.99% of the computer engineering programs are written for Windows. I am sure there are, but I have not ever seen an Engineering program written for the Mac. That's why I have Windows on my Mac.

10. fitto13 thread starter macrumors member

well, this was my question. if you can do virtually anything, other than gaming - why are so many people i see posting that they are booting with windows? i'd love an example of some things that don't work on mac so that i gauge whether or not i would need to.

trackpad (obviously) isn't the only reason.....:rolleyes:
    i don't have a laptop at present, nor have i ever owned one. one thing though, nearly every single laptop i have used that is windows based has never been as 'snappy' as the macs that i've used. they've always seemed to lag behind....always. just tongiht i was on a c2d 2.56ghz 4gb ram toshiba and the thing was slow as! hence, my reasoning to move to mac. they'e always seemed more responsive.
    ok thanks for the examples of things you use. i don't use either or them nor do i use anything that is out of the norm....just writing alot of essays:cool:

i was just asking why other people seem to need it other than gaming. i was just after suggestions...
    thanks, law student here!

although my typing doesn't look like it. 1.15am here and a few beers down:)

11. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The only program I use under Windows is my tax software. I could use the online ones, but I'm used to the local version, so I won't use the online one unless they kill off the local one. I like the idea of archiving off not only a PDF of my return, but also the software I used to make the return and the data file of the return. When I moved to my new machine I didn't even put a Windows Bootcamp partition, just created a small virtual machine. Most of my games are so old they run under DOSBox or have their own Mac executable (like PrBoom for Doom).

At work I use Windows a little more -- to run Visio and OPNET modeler -- but if I needed something Visio-like for home I would use OmniGraffle, and I don't see myself buying a $75,000 OPNET license for personal use any time soon :D

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most of the ones loading Windows on their Mac do it for 3 reasons

1. Because they can, simple as that

2. They need it for something very specific... like the engineering software listed above

3. Games

Most users never have a need to have Windows

If you are writing a lot of essays, you have plenty of choices:
    Office for the Mac 2004 and 2008
    Open Office
    Neo Office
    Pages

All offer compatibility with MS Office for Windows on varying levels

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What tax software do you use? TurboTax and TaxCut both have Mac versions, I've been using TaxCut's Mac version for a few years now.

I use Windows because the VPN client I have to use to login to my computer at work is Windows only. That's all I need it for.

14. fitto13 thread starter macrumors member

thanks fellas! yep, opposite to an engineer right here..and i don't do gaming (except for some unreal tournament GOTY edt. which runs on a mac anyway)

i did read something about a new office coming out this year so i might get the freeware versions first and then buy that when it comes out.

15. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

There is always iWork as well, it can read Microsoft formats.

Literally the only reason I use Windows is for Steam, if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't use it.

16. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I started using Tax Act right before I got my first Mac and have just stayed with it out of pure momentum. That, and its free for the Federal version (the others only seem to do free for their online versions) and only $12.95 for my state version.

17. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I use XP via Bootcamp for two reasons:
    • VPN to remote in to work, and the VPN required by my workplace's server is Windows only.
    • Cakewalk SONAR, a Windows-only digital audio workstation application.* I used various flavors of Cakewalk before I got my Mac, and had already invested several hundred dollars and lots of time composing songs and creating new sounds. I'm not about to throw all that away just to get Logic.

I do everything else in OS X.

*Side note: Cakewalk is now owned by Roland (the synth maker), a company that has played nice with Apple in the past. Whether Cakewalk SONAR will be ported to the Mac is another question entirely, as SONAR's softsynths and internal engine are heavily DirectX-based, but one never knows...

18. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I used my macbook all through law school! :) You'll be fine. They even have Secure Exam (that's what my school used for exams and my state uses for bar exams) for macs now.

19. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I use Quick Tax. A Canadian program and no Mac version...

20. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You will be perfectly fine with your Mac. Trust me. I installed Windows 7 on my mac because...well, I wanted to. No real reason. It doesn't hurt anything, and since I just bought my first intel mac I wanted to try it out :p

Maybe I'll install the original Rollercoaster Tycoon game or something on my W7 partition :p

I use mac for everything. Windows is just on here because it can.

21. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Nice choice :D That was a great game...

22. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yes sir :D

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Could you elaborate on which programs you are talking about? I'm a programmer, and, everything I need is available either in Xcode/etc. or as a Mac port. But, I believe that you are probably talking about CAD programs. Can you be more specific-- e.g. are there 5-7 packages that cover 99% of what you do? Just wondering...

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The somewhat limited games available on the Mac are the main reason-- but, unfortunately, over the last two years there has been an explosion in Mac game availability. This has caused me a lot of problems with my teenagers. The former OSX lack of games is sadly diminishing.

The main advantage that Windows has is that in many corporations, Windows XP has a lock on the "corporate desktop", and, on servers, Server 2003/Exchange is dominant. Now, personally, I can't comprehend this, because if you look at Microsoft's own (every 6 months or so) security report you see that XP/Server 2003 is far more prone to malware than Vista-64/Exchange 2008 (and presumably Windows 7). However, the corporate world's bizarre love affair with XP is the main reason that people want Windows for compatibility. You would think that security would be #1 in large corporations, but, you would be wrong.

Organizations that use all the finer points of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint often discover small incompatibilities between the Mac and PC versions (some of the same incompatibilities also exist among PC versions of course). Which leads us back to specific versions of Office along with the OS.

The other main application, strangely enough, is IE. As in IE6 or IE7. For some really bizarre reason, a lot of corporate internal websites (for HR and stuff) don't work properly with IE8. Security? They think they are protected by "the firewall". Don't get me started.

I haven't had a chance to work with Windows 7 XP mode yet, but, perhaps it will allow corporations to move forward a little. I plan to try to get 64-bit Windows 7 with XP mode running under Parallels 5 soon.

So, the executive summary of my long answer to your question is, "compatibility".

25. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Post graduate study at my University is on Windows.