Why Winnie the Pooh

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Silvereel, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Is anyone curious as to why Apple chose Winnie the Pooh as the free book included with iBooks. I thought it was probably public domain and therefore free, but there are still many books like this they could have chosen from, and it turns out it's not actually public domain in the first place.

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Why NOT Winnie The Pooh?!

Steve says "We laboured over that with the iPad - what is the book that we could supply just to get people started, that we really felt great about? And Winnie the Pooh won."

3. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

Who doesn't like Winnie the Pooh?

Plus it's one of those books that makes a great introduction to reading to kids or kids reading on the iPad.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Winnie the Pooh is not public domain (until 2026). They probably chose it because a) it is a nice story and b) it highlights the fact that iBooks can display color illustrations, which Kindle can't.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

Plus I think the book's colorful illustrations highlight the iPad's advantages over the Kindle.

6. amirite macrumors 6502a

Is this what you spend your time worrying about? Jeez.

7. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

Not worried, just intrigued ;)

edit: removed the typos from my post this morning. That's what comes of using the iPad to write.

8. iLiveUdie macrumors regular

They have meanings for EVERYTHING!

They chose Winnie the Pooh to show how the iPad is just a baby (the beginning) to what is in store next :D

9. mrklaw macrumors 68000

10. Jakeoster macrumors regular

It showcases the strengths of iBooks very well. It is quite innocent and appeals to no particular group of people (politically, economically, etc.) which keeps it neutral and won't put off anyone.

11. ndalum macrumors member

Pooh is politically neutral and non-controversial.

How many people cringe when they see the Ted Kennedy book on the demo?

12. DrMaturin macrumors member

Me, for one. This was very off-putting. A baffling decision, actually.

13. ndalum macrumors member

I was not baffled because Apple is obviously a liberal company.....but I still support it as a conservative because I like the products...

Even Rush Limbaugh uses Apple.

14. DrMaturin macrumors member

Sure, I'm an Apple loving right-winger too and will continue to be one. But Jobs seems to have toned down the politics the past few years. Showcasing the Kennedy book was a bit of a poke in the eye, at least to me. No way would he have showcased one of Rush's books.

15. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

This.

Also Winnie the Pooh being a childrens book allows for demonstration of color images.

16. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I agree... but I'm ok with it because Mass. knows "With all due respect, it's not Ted Kennedy's seat, it's the people's seat."

You're officially invited to my Election party in Nov. There will be a lot of booze, but we won't be drowning our sorrows;)

17. DrMaturin macrumors member

Looking forward to November myself. I plan to hoist a glass or three.

And, back on topic, I think Winnie the Pooh was an inspired choice.

18. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Non-controversial!? An overweight bear? Obesity, which is plaguing American children, no doubt due to influences like these. Concreting images into the sub-conscience of the young's mind before they even have a chance... evil.

A Bear? Is it wise to encourage our children to feel safe and secure with bears? Just like other dangerous animals, everyone (including children) should be properly educated on the precautions, dangers, and consequences of interaction with bears.

A child's brain is very mailable. Personally I believe Chicka Chicka Boom Boom should have been the book chosen.

Another Jiant mistake by Apple. I'm selling my stock off before this damn book ruins the whole company.

19. DrMaturin macrumors member

LOL, don't forget that it also features a pig, an animal offensive to many cultures!

20. DrMaturin macrumors member

Um, yeah, why do you ask?

21. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

just curious. Someday I as well, many iPad revisions from now

22. DrMaturin macrumors member

Good luck to you. Although if I had had an Ipad way back then I'd probably have flunked out of med school. The internet is an amazing time sink.

23. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

You think so? I feel as if having the internet more portable has allowed me to consolidate my time on the internet effectively. I cannot wait to save enough to get an iPad for school. I picture myself buying an iPad, getting my textbooks on it, (already enrolled and checked. All avaliable when coursmart or MgH comes out) I can't wait to see images on that screen, and search entire textbooks extremely quickly.-also apps like "elements" and mail are very exciting.

I invision an app that allows me to scribe with my finger, and that will play back my notes to me so I can see how I wrote them in class. Hopefully the mic is good enough to even be able to record the lecture w/ the synced "written" notes. mmmmm mmmm mmm.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to save enough in time for my summer classes and by fall I'll just want to wait until v2 although itll kill me, but meh, I'm a college kid, what do I expect. I gotta pay for school and a place to live first. :rolleyes:

24. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Because winnie the pooh has tigger in it and the wonderfully thing about tiggers are tiggers are wonderfull things, there tops are made of rubber, there bottoms are made out of springs, they're bouncy, pouncy, flouncey, trouncey, fun fun fun fun fun... Just like an ipad.

25. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I guess in a way this is why they chose Winnie the Pooh. It's a book that just makes you smile.