Why won't Apple allow Touch ID for everything EXCEPT lock screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 19, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Very frustrating, I was really hoping they would change this in iOS 8 but no luck.

I hate having a passcode/Touch ID for the lock screen...I know it's pretty quick but it's still a pain when trying to do a quick reply or delete an email from the lock screen so I prefer to not lock it at all.

But I do like the Touch ID for things like the App Store and the future Apple Pay.

Anyone think there's a chance they could separate them out in the future or is the lock screen lock always going to be required if you want it to use for other features?

2. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

You don't need to use touch ID for quick reply in lock screen I thought. Some apps hopefully start implementing touch Id for login - I have two already that use it

3. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Not 100% sure on quick reply but I know you do need it to delete an email from the lock screen.

4. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

Have not tried that one yet. But I'm pretty sure I tried the text earlier - swipe from right side of screen to the left and hit reply. Almost positive that's what I did.

Going to bed now - let me know if that worked. First day- can say I'm happy so far

5. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

In ios8 you can turn off TouchID for passcode and still use it for App Store.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i can confirm this

7. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

To hide notifications on the lock screen just drag notification centre down fully and then take it back up again

8. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

I'm right there with you on not liking the passcode/Touch ID for the lock screen. I figured out how to take the passcode off for the lock screen- somewhat.

Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>
    -turn off "iPhone Unlock"
    after that, set "Require Passcode" to "After 4 hours"

From there, you will have to enter the passcode every 4 hours, but I don't think that's too bad!

m

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

oh it's coming... touchID integration is gonna go widespread, WAIT FOR IT.

10. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

No you can't, I've tried it.

Ok well you can, but then all it does it not allow Touch ID on the lock screen, it still requires an actual code to be punched in, which is even worse.

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I've been using iOS 8 for awhile now. When a text comes in on the lock screen I hit reply and type my message and hit send. Touch ID does not come into play. Same thing with delete and mark as read for email. Also, third parties are implementing Touch ID, 1Password is one of the apps that has it. So really not sure what troubles the OP or anyone else is having.

12. mintakax macrumors regular

I think OP wants to be able to have "passcode off" (so no unlocking of screen is needed) and be able to use Touch ID for apple store,etc.
    I want this also but have been unable to do it because you can not activate "use Touch ID for iTunes and App Store " when passcode is off

13. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Touch ID for the lock screen is awesome, but i wished they used it more, a lot of the time with iTunes I have to sign in with my iTunes passward be great if Touch ID can replace this.

14. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a pretty good tip and seems to be the best solution right now, at most you'd have to unlock it like 5 times in one day if you get up at 7am. :p

15. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

it should be noted that if the iPhone has an exchange email account setup on it, the security settings could change the "Require Passcode" options to less amounts of time than the 4 hour maximum.

boo. :confused: