Why won't Apple allow Touch ID for everything EXCEPT lock screen?

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Very frustrating, I was really hoping they would change this in iOS 8 but no luck.

I hate having a passcode/Touch ID for the lock screen...I know it's pretty quick but it's still a pain when trying to do a quick reply or delete an email from the lock screen so I prefer to not lock it at all.

But I do like the Touch ID for things like the App Store and the future Apple Pay.

Anyone think there's a chance they could separate them out in the future or is the lock screen lock always going to be required if you want it to use for other features?

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
You don't need to use touch ID for quick reply in lock screen I thought. Some apps hopefully start implementing touch Id for login - I have two already that use it

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
You don't need to use touch ID for quick reply in lock screen I thought. Some apps hopefully start implementing touch Id for login - I have two already that use it
Not 100% sure on quick reply but I know you do need it to delete an email from the lock screen.

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Not 100% sure on quick reply but I know you do need it to delete an email from the lock screen.
Have not tried that one yet. But I'm pretty sure I tried the text earlier - swipe from right side of screen to the left and hit reply. Almost positive that's what I did.

Going to bed now - let me know if that worked. First day- can say I'm happy so far

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
I'm right there with you on not liking the passcode/Touch ID for the lock screen. I figured out how to take the passcode off for the lock screen- somewhat.

Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>
-turn off "iPhone Unlock"
after that, set "Require Passcode" to "After 4 hours"

From there, you will have to enter the passcode every 4 hours, but I don't think that's too bad!

m

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
oh it's coming... touchID integration is gonna go widespread, WAIT FOR IT.

jonbravo77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've been using iOS 8 for awhile now. When a text comes in on the lock screen I hit reply and type my message and hit send. Touch ID does not come into play. Same thing with delete and mark as read for email. Also, third parties are implementing Touch ID, 1Password is one of the apps that has it. So really not sure what troubles the OP or anyone else is having.

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
I've been using iOS 8 for awhile now. When a text comes in on the lock screen I hit reply and type my message and hit send. Touch ID does not come into play. Same thing with delete and mark as read for email. Also, third parties are implementing Touch ID, 1Password is one of the apps that has it. So really not sure what troubles the OP or anyone else is having.
I think OP wants to be able to have "passcode off" (so no unlocking of screen is needed) and be able to use Touch ID for apple store,etc.
I want this also but have been unable to do it because you can not activate "use Touch ID for iTunes and App Store " when passcode is off

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
Touch ID for the lock screen is awesome, but i wished they used it more, a lot of the time with iTunes I have to sign in with my iTunes passward be great if Touch ID can replace this.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I'm right there with you on not liking the passcode/Touch ID for the lock screen. I figured out how to take the passcode off for the lock screen- somewhat.

Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>
-turn off "iPhone Unlock"
after that, set "Require Passcode" to "After 4 hours"

From there, you will have to enter the passcode every 4 hours, but I don't think that's too bad!

m
That's a pretty good tip and seems to be the best solution right now, at most you'd have to unlock it like 5 times in one day if you get up at 7am. :p

LePigeonBleu

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
San Diego
That's a pretty good tip and seems to be the best solution right now, at most you'd have to unlock it like 5 times in one day if you get up at 7am. :p
it should be noted that if the iPhone has an exchange email account setup on it, the security settings could change the "Require Passcode" options to less amounts of time than the 4 hour maximum.

boo. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.