Why won't Apple sell a retail version of Tiger based on Intel

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daneoni, May 21, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So i just looked at the Apple store and apparently the only retail version of Tiger available is the PPC version. Anyone know the reasoning behind that?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

All Intel machines come with Tiger, so you would never have to buy the disk for it :)

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Unless you lose the discs.....which, Apple support frown on replacing

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That's not true from what I've read. There are numerous cases of people on these boards getting replacement disks.

5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I don't think that it was implied that Apple wouldn't replace them....just that they are hesitant to do so.

Hickman

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In terms of Apple being willing to replace them, I have too. "Hesitant?" I think they would ask you to provide information like a serial number of your Mac, but that's hardly unreasonable. And they're not free. But other than that, they're generally helpful about things like that.

There's no legitimate reason to need a full install retail copy of Tiger for Intel processors. It'll come with Leopard, when there will be a need. But are Apple and its distributors really supposed to go through all the expense of a retail release just for the smaller handful of people willing to pay retail price for replacements out of the initially already small handful of people who lose their disks? Seems like a bad investment.

7. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

Exactly the only people who would have to buy tiger are PPC users who got a mac which came out before tigers launch.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Or people who want to illegally install Tiger on their non-Apple PCs. :rolleyes:

9. yagran macrumors 6502a

well if your gna illegal install it why would you pay for a legal copy? :p

10. neven macrumors 6502a

If you walk into an Apple Store, I don't think you'll get any "frowning" about it. If you call, you'll have to pay for shipping and it might take a while.

Either way, it's a better deal for them not to have to press these, and it's a better deal for you than paying $129 for a new copy of Tiger.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Right or wrong, it's how Apple's OS releases have worked for some time.

Every Mac ships with a model-specific OS; the next reference release (in this case, Leopard) then rolls in support for that - and all other - models.

12. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I lost my restore disc for my old G4, and Apple replaced them without a problem, I think it cost like $40, which is a lot cheaper then buying the OS Retail.

13. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Maybe the reason is that they don't want to encourage people to buy them and try and install them on Windows-machines? And I don't necessarily mean malicious intent here.

I can see a not-so-knowledgeable person walking into an Apple-store, seeing OSX for Intel, thinking "Hey, I have an intel in my Dell!" and buying it, only to find that it doesn't work without a shiny white box. And then maybe suing... in any case the returned cd will be a wasted sale that Apple needs to replace.

I mean, what do you put on the back of that OS X-box? System-requirements: An Intel-machine, but only those with an Apple-logo? At least with PPC, a little less confusion was possible.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The system requirements have absolutely nothing to do with this. Apple will print it almost exactly as they did for Tiger.
    * Macintosh computer with an Intel, PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
    * Built-in FireWire
    * DVD drive for installation
    * 256MB of RAM
    * 3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you�install the developer tools)

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

maybe Apple expected to have 10.5 on the market by now and that's what's behind the decision not to have an intel version of Tiger available for retail?

btw; what version of 10.4 is in the current retail box? obviously 10.4.9 has been released for downloads, but what version do you get in the box? and what was the first version to support intel ?

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I really think it's simply as mkrishnan said...
    All Intel Macs come with Tiger, so who's going to buy buying a retail version for legitimate use?

17. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Most of these arguments are useless.

Leopard will come in a retail box, so why would they try to prevent illegal installations by not offering the Tiger UB?

18. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Because you can't use the search button. This topic is as dead as Jerry Falwell.

19. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Apple hasn't tried very hard to help OSX Server users out in similar situations. If you bought a separate license back at the 10.4.0 - 10.4.6(?) versions to use on a PPC box, and then upgraded your hardware to Intel, you'd be unable to use the same set of disks. It was pretty hard (if not impossible) to find a link to by replacement / update media on the Apple site.

Luckily, I was able to buy a 10.4.7 DVD at CDW for $25, but I've heard of others who paid for a whole new license. Admittedly not the smartest decision in hindsight, but Apple probably made some money from this lack of information.

But, as stated, dead like Falwell.

20. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Dunno....just don't see a reason why they aren't doing it and the piracy argument doesn't fly since Leopard will be UB. Just another wtf were they thinking.

21. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I reckon they're thinking, "Everyone who has an Intel Mac has an Intel copy of Mac OS X so why sell a UB version?". Seriously, why sell something that the people its aimed at won't buy? And even if they did it wouldn't work on PCs because they still use a BIOS whereas only the pre-release version of Tiger supports a BIOS.

22. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Yeah that's true. Versus on PPCs, where people are still upgrading from Panther to Tiger and thus will need a CD/DVD version. Makes sense.

23. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Hmm....fair point.

24. islandman macrumors 6502

I'd have to agree with the posters who said that there's no reason to. It comes with every Intel mac, and if you need a replacement for some reason, you can get it from Apple support.

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Piracy is only a small part. It would be a stupid move to put out a product that has legitimate user would ever purchase. They'd never make back the cost of the disc and packaging.