Why won't Apple take my money?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by whatwereusaying, Jun 6, 2008.

1. whatwereusaying macrumors newbie

So I bought a new notebook last week from :apple:.com. it came FedEx a week ago.

Apple still hasn't charged my bank account... The last time I bought a computer from them, it was debited the day it arrived. This time? Nothing. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

I paid with a debit/check card. Or I guess I should say they took the number and haven't done anything with it. But they did send me a computer...

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

[​IMG]

I think they normally take in on the day it's dispatched.

If (and I'd check back as far as the time you made the transaction) they haven't charged you then I wouldn't feel to guilty about the little bit of luck you got, believe me a multi billion dollar company aren't going to miss it.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It might just be taking them a little longer than normal to bill ya. Don't worry, they'll get it.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

They let me keep a second SR MBP when I was getting a replacement lol

Unfortunately, guilt got the better of me and I returned it :(

5. whatwereusaying thread starter macrumors newbie

so are you saying, if they haven't by now they're not going to?

I dunno I'd kindof like to sleep soundly knowing I paid for what I've got. Though I guess I'm not going to go out of my way to point it out to them... I mean I don't feel sorry for apple if they just lost my card info... but you'd think I'd have seen something in the mail by now?

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

sleep soundly and with a smile that it cost you zip :D

freee apple computer mmmmmmm tasty

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Good; that means (unlike SOME people around here) you have a sense of ethics. :rolleyes: Not paying for it is basically stealing it, though obviously you didn't mean to since it's their fault. Since it's their mistake, they'll probably at least give you a discount or a gift card or something for pointing it out, maybe more. Years ago I knew someone who bought a computer and they sent him two for some reason, so he mentioned it and they told him just to keep the second one.

--Eric

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The honest and ethical thing is to point out the mistake/error and make it right. It says you have integrity, which in view of the news lately, is lacking in humanity.

9. whatwereusaying thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't start shopping for a computer to try to get one for free, so my conscience gets the best of me. The easy way out would make me feel guilty. And karma sucks.

I'll try calling Monday... First I'm emailing customer service. After searching for over an hour for an email address, I read a post in a thread on this site from somebody who got an answer by emailing sjobs@apple.com... skeptical, but I'd rather try to take care of it by email before I call. I don't have a .mac account, (I'm still new to apple, but considering .mac now...) but I did purchase the extra AppleCare. You'd think they'd give you a way to contact them by email for that. Since I'm not crazy about sitting on hold, I figured I'd try that first. We'll see if it works...

10. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Apple's gonna charge you. thats no the issue, its more of when.

11. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Haha cancel the card and then see if they contact you!! Hahahahaha But in all seriousness, they won't miss this. This is a big company and when a $1000+ computer goes unpaid for it won't be missed. just wait a few days or so and if they still don't charge, then enjoy your free mac!! just make sure you keep enough money in your account to pay for it if they decide to wait and take the money out next week...

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

If you don't get charged do not say anything in this thread. Just walk away. I can see where this is going already...

13. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

company's have to pay for their mistakes.. you never did anything wrong..

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

15. whatwereusaying thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think some of you understand. I don't care how big apple is, or how much they're worth. I didn't set out to get a free computer. If they want to GIVE it to me rather than go back and fix their mistake after I've gone out of my way to make sure they get paid, I won't fight them. But just letting them be screwed out of $2500 in equipment and software is seriously dishonest, and could get me into trouble.

If I don't hear back from them by email, I think I'm just going to call and make the case for a discount... or maybe an iPod. Really, this is becoming an inconvenience to me at this point. I'm moving soon and need to change banks.

Besides, if it were as easy as closing the account and disappearing, people would be doing that all the time to get free macs. I think even if I wanted to try that, I'd be getting more trouble than I'm asking for.

16. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You could always go back through the source you bought it from, be it Apple store, newegg, or what ever and ask about it. hmmm? :rolleyes:

17. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Well if it is their fault, there is no way for you to get in trouble for having all that free gear. something obviously was mixed up in their computer system, because something wouldn't ship out until the money was accounted for. You shouldn't feel guilty or dishonest, you should just know that companies and computers make mistakes. I'm sure they will contact you soon...

18. whatwereusaying thread starter macrumors newbie

Emailing Steve Jobs worked... ha. What freaked me out was they CALLED me on a number I never gave them... my cell phone at that.

Somebody calling herself a "tier 3 customer service executive" called me (on a saturday??). She's giving me a ridiculous discount, plus a free iPod touch. They've already shipped the iPod, and they STILL haven't taken any money from me. That's supposed to happen Monday though.

Apparently they weren't missing the money. The rep on the phone only told me that I had been "somehow overlooked", and was pretty vague about what the actual problem was when I asked... She just said it was Apple's mistake.

No free mac... but it could have been. I'm happy enough with a discount and an iPod. Plus some peace of mind that they're not going to come after me for a couple of g's a year from now. And I just feel better about it... call me a moron if you want.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

You already know the answer to your question. This thread probably wasn't even necessary. You have 2 options.

1. Call Apple and ask them why they haven't charged your card.

2. Don't call Apple and see what happens.

If you don't want to be dishonest then call Apple and let them know. No need to get everyone riled up in an ethics debate online.

jon

20. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Haha, sweet! That's what happens when you do something honest. 95% of people would just take the Mac and close their bank account, so I want to say I respect the honesty and integrity. Good decision, and good luck with your new Mac. And iPod Touch.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, you ordered it and intended to pay, so a company could basically come back and charge you any time within the statute of limitations.

Getting it taken care of now is better than getting stuck latter.

And if you intentionally had tried to hinder the collection of the money by closing the account right before they charged you in 30-90 days , oops could be credit card fraud.

22. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Or worse, if you had used a debit card, and spent the money before it cleared, then you might have bounced the debit, bank fees...ect Ouch! :eek:

23. whatwereusaying thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to find out if the same thing happened to somebody else. I kind of thought it was interesting to see how many people told me to keep my mouth shut and count it as a blessing.

And,
    It's Community Discussion... Is ANY thread in here necessary??

I'll talk about what I want. Why don't you go bother the people talking about The Apprentice?

24. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Erm, no. It doesn't.

25. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Goes to prove honesty does work. Good for you on contacting them.