Why won't apple upgrade quicktime to 7.6.4 in snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by colossus12, Sep 14, 2009.

1. colossus12 macrumors newbie

Apple kept going on and on about the flaws associated with 7.6.3 that are now fixed. I wouldn't have installed quicktime 7 on sl if i couldn't update it.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

If you have Snow Leopard installed then you are using Quick Time X.

4. celticpride678

At installation, you have the option to install QuickTime 7 as well as QuickTime X.

Anyways OP, most likley, the bugs that were fixed in 7.6.4 were not needed for Snow Leopard OR are already there in QuickTime. Apple has a reason for everything, trust me, everything is happening at Apple for a reason.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Why would you want both Quicktime 7 and Quicktime X installed. Does one do something the other does?

6. garyd9 macrumors member

Yes. 7 works with more codecs and plugins. There are several write-ups on the web describing all this..

7. kolax macrumors G3

QuickTime X plays hardly any files, plugins don't work (yet), it has no preferences - you can't set it to play movies automatically when opened, the GUI is pretty ugly too. QuickTime X is no where near completion obviously - but as a framework for OS X it is pretty neat. Not as a player though.

QuickTime 7 allows us to continue doing what we were doing before - view .wmv's, .avi's with unsupported codecs etc. Play movies automatically, and best of all, frame by frame skipping without the on-screen controls blocking the media!

The under-the-hood improvements of QuickTime X are great, but as a Player, it has a long way to go.

8. TK648 macrumors newbie

After I installed SL Quick time 7 does not work at all for me
    none of the QT movies I have will open when I try to open a QT movie I get
    real player to open with out sound or video.
    Or I get Quick Time Player must be installed to run this application.
    and quick time player is installed I never took it out.

Nothing works.

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

They are completely redoing QT from the ground up. They only have basic features ready, so the previous version is still avaliable, but will be replaced once the new version is complete. Probably added it to SL to show off more 64 bit apps, and since they haven't done it with iTunes yet they needed a media player that could begin to utilize it.