Why won't certain internet connections work when I'm connected?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, May 16, 2008.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I find that very often when I'm out, I can find many un-secured wifi networks, and very often I can connect to them with a great signal, but when I go to safari to view a webpage that error thing comes up. I've even had this happen with internet connections that were labeled "Free Public Wi-Fi". Connection , but no internet.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that these internet connections might be "n", and the iPod only supports "b" and "g"? If that's the case (and it seems to be the only logical answer), will the iPod be receiving support for "n" come June with the new software update?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some "free public wi-fi" are created by a windows worm (virus?) that often infects Windows devices upon connection. http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6122707.html

Some wifi have filtered their access list, so even if you can connect to it, you won't get anything from it.

Very few networks are N only. If it's N only then I don't think you can see it.

3. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

This is more than likely the case.

4. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

I've found some routers have DHCP disabled, so I've had to manually enter in an IP address and DNS settings.