Why won't Google use the new iOS7 keyboard?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bjcskier, Nov 15, 2013.

1. bjcskier macrumors member

Jul 9, 2012
    Why do they continue to update their apps and not incorporate the iOS 7 keyboard?

It's really ridiculous.

Come on, Google. If you want to be cutting edge and get Apple people to like your product, get with the times.
  2. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2012
    I'm not a developer but..... I think it means they are compiling on Xcode 4 instead of the new Xcode 5.
  3. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2009
    There's a definite disconnect going into Google+ or Hangouts after using an app that's been updated with iOS 7 aesthetics.

You'd think that Google would prefer its apps and brand not be associated with sentiments of apathy and of being behind-the-times. :confused:
  4. Armen macrumors 604

Apr 30, 2013
    Google is seriously pissing me off. Especially when they are forcing me to create a freakin Google+ account just to access my Youtube favorites. :mad:
  5. deuxani macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2010
    They are taking their time. But Gmail and Maps do have the new keyboard finally and are fullscreen.
  6. bjcskier thread starter macrumors member

Jul 9, 2012
    Good call - I missed these. Hopefully the others follow shortly...
  7. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2006
    Gmail was just updated and has the new keyboard.

They're on the way towards incorporating it into all their apps.

I'm sure their have been more important things they needed to update before getting to small things like the keyboard.
  8. Screwtape macrumors regular

May 10, 2009
    As a developer, this is exactly correct. They're compiling with iOS 6. Hence the lack of iOS 7 keyboard and UI design.
  9. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

Jul 22, 2011
    google maps, quickoffice and gmail have been updated for iOS 7 what the hell are you talking about?

they all use the new keyboard and layout only youtube, google transalte, youtube capture and google now haven't been updated
  10. Xiph0s macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2008
    New York, NY
    As a developer, I think it's smart. When you have a multi-tiered sophisticated app ..you want those robust release of software. iOS7 is far from being robust.
  11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Oct 17, 2011
    The horrors of a perfectly functional and just slightly different looking keyboard! :eek:
  12. Max(IT) Suspended

Dec 8, 2009
    It's not only Google ... Take a look at whatsapp ... It takes a little time yo have all apps updated to the new UI
  13. LordQ Suspended

Sep 22, 2012
    I hate Google apps; their weird 3D-ish icons, no iOS 7 style and keyboard and well they spy on everything to do.
  14. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

Nov 25, 2012
    Then don't use them.:rolleyes:

I don't care about the keyboard (although Google has updated them for Maps and I'm sure will do so for the others). I care that on iOS7, Google apps are the ones that "just work."
  15. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2012
    "As a developer", I think it's stupid. Not only do you admit you don't know about the platform ("Last supported version" was recently added for those on >iOS 7 if they're worried about other OS's). Updating and not using what's given to you and having it stick out in bad ways is not creative or professional.

Also, API's != underlying OS. The API's are groundwork for the OS, BUT if there is code that causes something to happen (memory leaks, wrong input/output, etc) that's on the OS. I'm guessing your getting at bugs in the OS so it's not "robust". The keyboard API is fine so that makes no sense. All other API's are working (some with minor glitches) and if they aren't for some reason.
    A) report them
    B) get creative

Having said this, it is weird that some Apple apps aren't updated. But they haven't gotten updates either (that I'm aware). Looking at Google music makes me think Google is lost with Xcode.