Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
I can log onto public wifi like Starbucks, my School, and any other household networks. But at my boyfriend's house, his network is password protected. I will enter in the password correctly, it will accept it, and say I am connected, but then I get the "!" over my airport icon, and it says it cannot connect. I was at a church tonight, also with a password protected network and it said I was connected (with full bars) and the "!" showed up again. What's wrong with my laptop?

I forgot to mention, my boyfriend's macbook logs on just fine to his internet.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Do you have static ips in on the mac? Have a look in system prefs under your air port.

Make sure you have not proxy server settings entered either. If you have static ips remove them. Can u use your laptop anywhere else? Does it work?

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
Do you have static ips in on the mac? Have a look in system prefs under your air port.

Make sure you have not proxy server settings entered either. If you have static ips remove them. Can u use your laptop anywhere else? Does it work?

That's probably what's wrong. How do I remove static ips?

And yes, I can use my laptop at any other network that isn't password protected. Starbucks, school, friends' houses... just no where that has password protected networks EVEN IF i enter the password correctly.

30tjp03.png

vyxk7o.png

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
ive had this same problem in the past, including 3g iphone. after some research what i found is that (more or less from what i remember) is that the algorithm calculation or hex conversion that apple uses is slightly different than rest of the world in older macs. what should work for you is entering the hex version of the password instead of the passphrase or whatever. doing this has cleared up the problem for me.

if this sounds confusing, let me give you an example. if the passphrase for a given network is "internet" and it doesn't work you would need to input it's hex equivalent "5c6d2b23bd95e240823bee2d9c" and that SHOULD gain you access.

if the owner doesn't know what the hex is, its usually available from the router itself(may require putting passphrase again to see the hex code generated) or using an online calculator.

give it a shot and let us know

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
On your last screen shot, if you'click on the TCP/IP tab, make sure that it is set to automatically get the ip, and DHCP is set, not Manually.

Doesn't look like you have proxies setup so you're good there. If those fail, then try the Hex key thing.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
ive had this same problem in the past, including 3g iphone. after some research what i found is that (more or less from what i remember) is that the algorithm calculation or hex conversion that apple uses is slightly different than rest of the world in older macs. what should work for you is entering the hex version of the password instead of the passphrase or whatever. doing this has cleared up the problem for me.

if this sounds confusing, let me give you an example. if the passphrase for a given network is "internet" and it doesn't work you would need to input it's hex equivalent "5c6d2b23bd95e240823bee2d9c" and that SHOULD gain you access.

if the owner doesn't know what the hex is, its usually available from the router itself(may require putting passphrase again to see the hex code generated) or using an online calculator.

give it a shot and let us know

Well the password I put in is already like example you put above. I'm actually house sitting at my boyfriend's place while him and his family are on vacation, but they have a desktop computer I can use. I'll try to connect again tonight and upload some screen shots!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.