Why won't my iPad sell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by patseguin, Nov 5, 2013.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I listed my iPad 3rd gen 64GB at the same time as my mini and the mini sold within 10 minutes for $360. I have a reserve of $460 on the 3rd gen and have it listed for the 3rd time. I find it hard to believe that I will have to sell it for close to what I sold my mini for. What are other selling theirs for?

2. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

You won't get that much for a 3rd gen. That's why no one is buying. I sold my 4th gen wifi 32gb with accessories , original box and Bluetooth keyboard for $500

3. Rafterman macrumors 68000

iPad 3 64GB at $460 is too high. I sold my 4th gen 128GB AT&T version to Gazelle and I only got $450. Six months ago, my 64GB 4th gen sold for $550. The market for iPads is really down lately due to too much availability.

4. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Because the people who have viewed your listing do not feel that the product you are offering is worth the cost.

It's a pretty simple answer... one that I think you already knew. My guess is you're just looking for sympathy here.

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

i sold my 4th gen 64GB white wifi with the a leather smart cover and an installed anti-glare screen protector for $500. if it came with a smart cover, i could see it go for $460, but i would aim more at $430.

mine was on amazon for two weeks and no bites. my wife sold it for me to one of her coworkers via their craigslist-like marketplace.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Goodness why would you sell to Gazelle :eek: They will probably turn around and sell it for $650 or so.

But I can kind agree with everyone else: price too high. I can go on ebay and pick up a 64GB one at $330 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-...61322598877?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item3cd80a69dd

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah you're selling it too high. Drop the price.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Your "reserve" should be your selling price. Don't expect to get more than $460. Apple is selling refurbs for $579 but that includes a one year warranty. Other stores are offering heavy discounts on iPad 4's.

FWIW I had my ATT iPad 64GB on eBay w/ starting bid of $375 and $15 shipping. Not one bid. I then put it up as a BIN for $430 w/ free shipping. It sold w/i hours.

The problem many sellers don't understand is that storage on iDevices is like options on new cars: buy only what you need & will enjoy because you won't get much return on them when you go to sell. The price difference between a 16GB WiFi iPad 3 and a 128GB WiFi + Cellular is nowhere near as wide as original pricing.

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I think most people know to avoid the 3rd gen if at all possible.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

?. If that were true they wouldn't believe what clerks at stores tell them. But in reality the iPad 3 is fine for casual use. I had no qualms about mine and didn't feel compelled to upgrade to the beefier 4.

11. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I'm not looking for sympathy, take it easy. I'm just wondering if I priced it too high. Since I sold a Mini 64GB for $360 I figured I could get $100 more for my full size. I was just looking to see what other people sold for.

12. OriolesMagic macrumors member

I sold my 32gb 3rd Gen for $340. And that was before iPad Air was announced. You're pricing it way too high.

13. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Yes exactly, $460 was what I hoped I would get for it. If it doesn't tell this time around I might do what you did. What did you set for reserve when you sent that BIN price?

OriolesMagic: mine is twice the capacity as yours plus cellular. I would think I could get more than you did. Heck, my mini sold with a $360 BIN price.

14. OriolesMagic macrumors member

If it was the 4th gen, you could probably get about $100 more. Going back to the 3rd gen definitely limits it though. Not surprising to me that Mini may go for more.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

The lack of buyers already provided that answer.

Better to just search Sold/Complete listings on ebay for comparable units sold in the past couple days.

Anecdotal sales prices posted here can be misleading since not everyone remembers to mention all the other stuff they threw in, or that they sold their two weeks before the Air was announced.

16. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Bite the bullet and list it for $400, then you can haggle and get it sold for like $380. The market value on a 3rd gen is significantly lower than the 4th but not much higher than the 2nd.

It's screwed I know, but that's what Apple did when they released two iPads in one year.

17. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I don't care how much they will resell it for. That's why they are in business - to make money from resales. I'll take less in sale price in exchange for not having to deal with the massive criminal element in places like eBay. And posting on Craigslist is just a request to be robbed and/or beaten.

----------

Yeah, I never got that whole "reserve" concept. Just put the starting price at the minimum you will accept and don't bother with all that "reserve" nonsense.

----------

Minis are more in demand than full sized iPads.

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

I sold my 32GB Wi-Fi for $350. A realistic price for a 64GB Wi-Fi would be $400 and $450 for the cellular. The only problem is that no one is looking to spend that much for an iPad 3, regardless of what it has. $350 seems to be the target price for iPad 3 buyers because if they spend upwards of $450, they can get an iPad 4 or an iPad Air.

Yes it isn't fair but you don't get even 25% of the cost you spent upgrading a model two generations back. For a generation back, realistically you can get 50% for the extras (for example, you spend $200 more to get a 64GB so you might get $100 of that back). But not for two generations back.

You have to ask yourself, would you pay $460 for a 3rd generation iPad? I know I wouldn't.

19. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I listed a 4th Gen 32GB AT&T for $450 and it didn't sell...still with 9 months left on the warranty too...

20. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

21. cxc273 macrumors regular

I just sold mine this week for $380. It was a third generation with 64 GB and Verizon cellular with about 5 months of AppleCare left on it.

I sold it on eBay with Buy It Now -- I don't really mess with auctions anymore.

As others have said, your iPad is only worth what others are willing to pay. You'll certainly get more than what you would from a site like Gazelle or NextWorth. (Gazelle had originally offered $260 the day of the iPad Air announcement.)

It's fairly easy to find out what people are paying for a device at any given time on eBay. I agree that $380-400 is approximately what you can expect, depending on the condition of your device and any extras you might throw in.

22. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Tony78228

selling it to Gazelle shouldn't even be an option. they offered me $120 less for what I sold my ipad 3 on ebay for.

23. tyche macrumors 6502

I sold my 32gb wifi for $400 on kijiji and it sold in under an hour. This was 3 weeks before the Apple announcement. Thing is now, you're two generations behind with the iPad 4 being a better choice for a used iPad.

24. batman75 macrumors 6502

I find this quite interesting. I can't sell previous gen for half price of a new one.

By comparison my Macbook Air holds its value much better.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As said, my BIN was $430. It wasn't an auction, just BIN. Try listing at $460 with a "make an offer" option. Set the floor at $430; i.e., anything lower eBay automatically tells the buyer to up the ante so you are not hounded by low ballers.