Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theironist08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
My new car radio has a USB slot, so I went out and bought a new USB lead to have in the car. I wanted a way of charging the phone, while playing music.

I plug it in and everytime its the same! The iphone flashes on and off. Its as it im inserting the cable and taking it out repeatedly. It seems like its trying to read it bud cant! I tried a different cable and same thing happened!

Why is this? Is there a quick fix?

Thanks in advance :apple:

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Pretty sure the USB slot in your car is for loading music files onto the car's hard drive only. You can't just plug your iPhone into the USB slot and expect to be able to play music straight from your iPhone. It's more complicated than that

theironist08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
You can't just plug your iPhone into the USB slot and expect to be able to play music straight from your iPhone.

But, the cable I bought is a USB cable for car audio, designed to plug straight into iphone or ipod and then into the USB slot, how is this meant to work then? :confused:

theironist08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
Update: hooked up an ipod via the cable and it goes to charge screen and works. BUT you cannot select a song, it just plays them alphabetically! Whats the deal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.