Why won't my iPhone4 stream Netflix to my tv?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cthoops, Jun 10, 2011.

1. cthoops macrumors member

I am looking for suggestions from those who are way more tech-savvy than I am (which is to say, anyone!).

I have an iPhone4, the Universal Dock, the Apple Component AV cables, and a Panasonic plasma HDTV. I'm trying to stream Netflix from my Netflix app to my t.v. so I can watch the movies on the big screen.

After plugging the component cables into the component terminal in the t.v., I first got a message on my phone that said something like the accessory will only work when plugged directly into the iPhone. I thought that was weird because what's the point of the dock then, but I plugged the end of the cable directly into the phone. Then I got a message that said it wasn't optimized and there may be interference. O.k. Whatever. But when I started the Netflix app it only played on the phone. Nothing on the t.v. (and I had the component option selected for the t.v.). I also have the iPhone settings set to send video out.

Does it need to be used via the video terminal instead of the component terminal in the t.v. instead? I hope not, because that only uses composite cables and I'll have to go back to the store. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Dorv macrumors regular

Might be a stupid question, but is Netflix actually optimized to use the Video Out? I don't think all Apps are.