Why won't my MacBook charge?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tanister, Mar 21, 2009.

1. tanister macrumors newbie

It's still quite new. I got it in November. I gave it it's first full charge and it worked fine. The battery died once and since then it won't charge. I plug it in, the green light comes on, I can use the MacBook, but the battery won't charge. As soon as the charger is disconnected, the MacBook shuts off immediately.

What happened? I've tried multiple different outlets. Ones in my house, one in my friend's house, and right now I have it plugged in at Panera and it still isn't charging.

Any ideas?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Two likely causes. One is that when the battery died, you didn't recharge it soon enough and stored it 'dead' so it killed the battery's ability to charge. Or you got a dud battery.

Secondly, that there's a problem on the logic board that's affecting your Macbook's ability to see the battery.

I had this problem with my Macbook when it was about 6 months old. I just took it to the Genius Bar who told me the above and then tested it. He just swapped me out a new one - although I suspect the pal I'd loaned the Mac too had 'abused' the battery.

3. tanister thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

So this problem should be under warranty, right?

I guess I'll head to the Apple store this weekend and battle the DMV-like crowds in hope of fixing this problem.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Swapped out the battery rather than the Macbook :p

Batteries usually aren't covered but when they don't have many cycles and it's such a short time, I think they do it anyhow.

You might want to make an appointment at the Apple store before you head out there - you can do that on the Apple website

5. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

if the battery is faulty then they will replace it. seeing as the laptop is new, the battery shouldnt be 'worn out' yet. they should do 300 cycles and still have 80% of their original capacity. the issue here is not battery life but battery charging instead.

take it to an apple store and they will sort you out with something

6. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

I had the same problem. The battery icon on my computer had an 'X' inside of it. It ended up being a bad logic board.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Have your Apple store stick another battery in to see if that's the problem. Regardless, this kind of thing is covered under warranty.