Why won't my MBP use all its RAM??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by suburbiton, Mar 12, 2009.

1. suburbiton macrumors member

My MacBook Pro is currently being very noisy and getting very hot - it's running HandBrake, Safari, iTunes, Numbers etc. etc. and my processor is running at 99% - but why do I have 2GB of my 4GB RAM left idle?!

Can't the processor pass some of it on to the RAM? If not, why do they sell MBP with 4GB if it never uses it?

Attached Files:

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I could be wrong, but I think it depends on the program you are running. Most programs won't access that much RAM to begin with. Boot into some Adobe CS4 programs or Final Cut Pro and you'll see your RAM usage increase.

None of those programs you list are that RAM intensive, looks like they are still taxing the processor without requiring that much RAM. The processor is just getting a workout because of the sheer number of tasks you're asking it to do all at once.

SLC

3. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

I think you need to learn more about how computers work:cool: ram does not do any processing...

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Processor and memory are two very different things. Handbrake uses tons of processor (as much as is available) but very little memory. You can't just tell it to use more memory and less processor.

5. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

I got confused with virtual RAM on a HDD. But thanks for the replies.