Why won't my MPEG 2 videos work in FCE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BlakTornado, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I imported some footage at college using Final Cut Studio today. It played fine on the computers there. (Mac Pro, Final Cut Studio 1 running on Tiger)

However, when I got home, my footage failed to play (Quicktime X, Snow Leoprd 10.6.3, Final Cut Express and iMovie 09). I checked the file's info and it revealed that it was an MPEG-2 file. I did some Googling (I already knew Apple made people pay for the codec) and decided that the best option was to buy the codec. So I did... but it still failed to work (Argh).
    However, while iMovie and Handbrake would import it/convert it, the output files were deemed corrupt and Final Cut Express wouldn't read them. When importing, Final Cut would just show a white screen, and in the timeline show a red message with white words reading "Could not load codec". Annoying.

So now I'm stuck. I've tried converting my video but the outputs just seem to be causing errors. Quicklook and Quicktime X can play these outputs, but Final Cut can't.

So what can I do, oh wise MacRumors?

I have included photos below of:
    - My Quicktime library folder
    - The file info
    - Final Cut Express
    - Quicklook reading the files (Note: shows audio only...)

Is there any way to get it working? The footage was captured from a Sony HDV Z7E, I do believe.

Attached Files:

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple's HDV codec, which is what you are missing, is only available if you have Final Cut Pro.

Lethal

3. BlakTornado thread starter Guest

BlakTornado