why wont the 3g sim work in the 2g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsxr370, Jun 11, 2009.

1. gsxr370 macrumors member

I am handing down my 3g to my wife and I got her a cover and restored it and got it ready to give to her today. I figured I would use hers until the 3gs came. But when I swapped sims the 2g said for emergency only?

2. The General macrumors 601

She needs the 3G plan and to plug it into iTunes.

3. Nickday89 macrumors regular

if the 3g sim wont work in 2g, will the 2g work with the 3gs? would i be able to just take my current first generation iphone's sim and use it with the 3gs? or will i have to put all the numbers into my new phone's sim once i get it?

4. redrox5 macrumors member

If you load a PWN'ed firmware on the 2G that is "hacktivated" then it will work fine with just placing your current 3G sim in there.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, and that sucks.
    You either gotta activate it thru itunes and go thru picking a plan and signing a contract or just unlock and jailbreak it.
    Then it will work with any sim.
    The 2G sim will work inside a 3G iphone but not the other way around.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I hacktivated my first gen iPhone so that I can easily swap my 3G sim to either phone I feel like at that moment. I like them both.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes, my GF's 2G SIM works just fine in my 3G phone.

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Does the 2G sim in the 3G phone get 3G service?
    I have a 2G right now and am getting the 3Gs with intentions of using the 2G as backup or if i'm going somewhere I dont want to risk damaging/losing the 3Gs. Hmm...

9. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

I switched it and plugged it in to I tunes and activated it. I called Att to make sure it will work like this and they were confused as hell. So... i switched them back. Im worried that it will mess up my 3GS order since I ordered it under her number to get the discount.

10. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Ok i just pulled out the sim card on my 2G phone and it has the 3G logo on it. So i should be able to switch from 2G to 3G whenever I want with the same sim card? right?

11. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

if i switched the sim cards and turned of the 3g would att even know I switched the sim cards?

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why don't you just get a new SIM? There is nothing mystical about your old one.

13. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

i just dont want to do anything to interfere with me getting the discounted upgrade from my wifes line. But she really wants mine!!

14. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Not too knowledgable in this area but I guess it'd be like saying why won't a PS3 game work in a PS2...
    Bad analogy? :confused:

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Bad analogy. There's no technical limitation of the SIMs , it just has to do with the activating of the phone.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

It is suppose to work. I would talk to ATT you have need and updated SIM card. I as well was hoping to use my 2G as a backup when I get a 3GS

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So use it as a backup. If something happens to your 3GS drop a new SIM in your 2G and have ATT activate it. That will do nothing to your contract.

18. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

It seems to me like the original iPhone did not come with a 3G sim if you bought it in the first summer that it was available. However sim cards after a certain point are all 3g capable. So as long as you have the new updated "3g" sim card it will worth on both phones?

19. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

i got it to work in the 2g. Im just worried about my bill with the 2g card in the 3g.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you put in the 2G $20 data plan and using the sim on a 3G they'll eventually find out and tell you to get the $30 3G data plan.

21. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

what if I turn the 3g off. That should get me threw until the 19th

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be good if you'll only do it for a week IMO.
    People have been doing it for a while and usually get caught after months.
    But it doesnt really matter if you turn 3G off in the settings, AT&T knows right away what phone you're using as soon as you stick in your sim card to the cellphone and connect to their network.