Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I have the iPad mini with retina display. I also have the Nikon D800/E cameras, which have 36.3 megapixel sensors. When I load a full Rez image onto the iPad, (7360 x 4912) it doesn't save it as such. Instead I get / have a resolution of 4602 x 3072 instead of my full size from the D800. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Why does the iPad reduce the actual size of the image?

Todd

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
You can't display a picture on an ipad that is greater than the resolution of an ipad retina screen so it gets reduced by iPad.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Personally, I wish the photos were at the zoomed in resolution. I don't need high res images, but I would like them to be crisp when I double tap on them.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
When I load a full Rez image onto the iPad, (7360 x 4912) it doesn't save it as such. Instead I get / have a resolution of 4602 x 3072 instead of my full size from the D800.

How are you loading the photo onto the iPad (iTunes sync, CCK, download from cloud, import from some Nikon WiFi app?). That'll make all the difference in the world.

If you're syncing from iTunes, Apple resizes the images for you, because they seem to know what's best for you.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
How are you loading the photo onto the iPad (iTunes sync, CCK, download from cloud, import from some Nikon WiFi app?). That'll make all the difference in the world.

If you're syncing from iTunes, Apple resizes the images for you, because they seem to know what's best for you.

I am either loading them from iTunes by the selected photo folder, not iPhoto. The other way is direct from the camera connection kit directly off of the SD card. The issue I have is I sometimes upload these images to my website and I want them to be full size and large JPEG files. So if there is now way to get the files larger on the iPad, then I'll use them as big as they get and upload the original files from my laptop.

Thanks for all the replies.

Todd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.