Why won't the Leopard Finder remember grid-spacing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Karvel, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

The inability of this button to actually do what it SAYS has been driving me absolutely mind. I want to set the Icon size and Grid spacing to something more appropriate for my needs (as opposed to the comical setting you get as default), but when I click the "Use as defaults" button it hardly does that for any folder. I check my Home folder - Nope. Applications - Nope. Documents - Nope. All still at that comical grid spacing. And when it does occasionally work, usually I have to manually "Clean up" so I don't get files/folders stretching right across to the right and leaving a massive horizontal scroll-bar.

And why does opening a Finder window by clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock, opening a Finder window by going (e.g.) "Go" -> "Utilities" and clicking on e.g. the Downloads stack in the Dock all each show Finder windows with different sizes? (I suspect this has more logic than the above, mind)

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

OK, try this...

Close all your Finder windows, now, open up Terminal, and "killall Finder" (no quotes). Open up 1 Finder window, and set it how you like it. Now, see if it took.

Also, did you do an Upgrade & Install, Archive and Install, or Clean Install?

Did you happen to install the Little Snitch 2 Beta?

As for why the Finder window open up in different sizes.... I have no idea, but it bugs me too.

3. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Did a clean-install of Leopard, haven't got "Little Snitch" or anything. Btw that "kill finder" sounds scary.. :D