Why would a USB 3.0 hub NOT be compatible with rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacLifer, Oct 29, 2012.

1. MacLifer macrumors member

I am looking for a USB 3.0 to attach to a rMBP. I saw this one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Uspeed-Supers...F8&qid=1351532933&sr=8-7&keywords=USB+3.0+hub

But in the system requirements, it says this:

"System requirements: Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS (Not compatible with Retina Macbook Pro)"

Huh? Why would it not be compatible with the rMBP?

Related, what is a good USB 3.0 hub that *is* compatible with the rMBP?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

From the most recent review:

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That is strange...I can't think of any reason why the retina display would make one iota of difference to USB3...Maybe they are concerned about power drain? Possibly a powered hub might be better....It's new technology, but the not compatible with rMBP is a strange one.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

There is no reason for it not to work. If it doesn't you can just return it, tell them you have a different computer.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It could be using some strange controller that only works with windows, but USB 3 is a standard spec. I don't understand why it would make a difference if they adhere to the USB 3 spec.

6. scottxxxxx macrumors newbie

I guess we all have different definitions of "working".

This hub is not compatible with the RMBP and even the OP mention it being "flakey".

There are numerous posts on the forum about it not working.

I purchased this for my retina MBP. For USB 2 devices, it worked intermittently and I noticed that my logitech mouse would not respond after the computer returned from sleep.
    Unfortunately, it did not recognize a new WD USB 3 HD, a bytecc USB3 to ESATA, or a dat optic USB3 to ESATA adapter.
    All three of which work fine, albeit at USB 2 speeds, with my old Belkin USB 2 hub.

If you have a Retina MBP, I would not recommend this device since none of the USB 3 devices are recognized by the OS, and since the light on the hub does not illuminate, the hub itself.

7. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Sorry to bump this up, but I bought the uspeed 4 port hub after the Nov 2012 update (Which was basically just them shipping it with a beefier power supply).

On the rMBP it works fine with ONE hard drive attached. If you attach any more it craps out.

As it stands there is no USB 3.0 hub that works as it should with the rMBP. It seems Apple have borked up the implementation of USB 3.0.

8. cube macrumors G5

I bought a USB 2.0 hub from a quality brand once and it did not work with Vista or later.