Why would a warning of malaware appear suddenly when used to be ok?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by julianna1973, Sep 2, 2009.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

My hubby used to go to a house auction website all the time but hadnt looked in a long time & when he tried today he got a window warning him of Malaware!

It is a legit website so why would this happen?

2. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

Where did the warning come from?
    the internet browser? the website itself? Google? Apple?

As for why Malware can suddenly appear. Maybe some one hacked the site and put it there.

Still, you more safe on a mac. I had 3 or 4 Windows viruses that tried to download themselves. I no doubt have them stored somewhere for emergency use....;)

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

One time browsing eBay under Firefox and Leopard I started getting all sorts of weird messages and pop up windows about Malware on my computer and trying to force a software installation.

I am pretty sure it was simply some rogue advertisor who was using flash to do this.

I disabled Flash and have never seen the problem again.

4. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

Heh. reminds me. once i got onto a webpage trying to be the XP Computer bit. with the C and D drives and the CD/DVD and External stuff. It said that my "C" drive was infected and that I should install this "Anti" virus program.

I had a screen shot. but that was on a picture storage site, which was bookmarked on a different browser.

jmpage2, was the software in .App format?

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I didn't really dig into it very much. It was looking like something I would expect to see on a PC where it was coming up in big bold letters saying "your computer is infected" and wouldn't browse out of it.

It was either on eBay or Amazon, I can't remember. I just remember thinking that it was almost certainly some paid for advertising that was being done by a dishonest merchant.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I'm guessing you're talking about Safari's anti-phishing feature. It can sometimes appear on legit sites due to rogue advertisements. I've seen it on Google a few times and I think eBay.

Not to be confused with the malware protection included in Snow Leopard.