iPhone XS Max Why would an iPhone camera be better than Huawei or Oneplus T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renho, May 8, 2019.

1. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

the Oneplus T 7 pro is to have a 48/20/16mp lenses. iPhone 12/12/12mp. So why would an iPhone pic be better if the Megapixels are lower. Can software really matter that much?

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

lenses don't have megapixels. It's the sensors that have megapixels.

I don't know anything about the Oneplus, but megapixels don't really speak to photo quality. The biggest contributing factor to photo quality (from a physical perspective) is sensor size. The larger the sensor, the better the picture (generally).

Megapixels rarely matter.

I would say that from a hardware pespective, the quality of the lens and the size of the sensor have an oversized contribution to quality compared to resolution.

I would also say that software "tricks" contribute more than megapixels as well.

3. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Because megapixels is only one metric when evaluating a camera.

Here is a comparison between the Huawei, the iPhone and the s10
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But you should definitely get a One plus 7, it’s exactly what you want, cheaper and has a fast charger in the box

4. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

A lot of it is software, as demonstrated by the Pixel 3 which destroys everything else on the market.

5. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

Why is megapixels a measuring stick at all then?
    --- Post Merged, May 8, 2019 ---
    I have seen all those. But in comparing and hearing others. It’s really up to the person to judge which they like better it seems. Their will never be a 100% vote getter.
    The bigger the lenses the more light is let in right?

6. ftaok, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Because it's an easy metric for laypeople to comprehend. It's very easy to market a device with a 20 MP sensor and say that it's better than a 12 MP sensor. Anyone can market "bigger is better".

Ironically, in sensor size, bigger is truly better. The problem is how sensors are measured. You'll have a sensor measured at 1/1.7" compared to a 1/2.3" and most people (who suck at math) will think the 1/2.3" sensor is bigger, when it's the exact opposite.

In typical use, once you get passed around 6 MP, you're not gonna notice too much difference. The exceptions are the MP are useful if you crop your photos, print them out at 16x20 sizes, or view them on very very high resolution screens.

Otherwise, you're wasting storage space (more MP means more MBs).
    Lenses are tied to the sensor. I guess (I'm no physicist) the larger the sensor, the larger the lens, but the distance between the lens and sensor needs to be factored, and then you get into the focal length (could be wrong on the terminology) of the lens (i.e. wide-angle, tele-photo, etc). In general, lenses are rated by size. They're rated by stuff like distortion and other crap.

In a phone camera, it's irrelevant as these lenses are so damn small to begin with and the photos are such garbage compared to what a dSLR can produce. That's why software is so important to camera phones. It allows you to take photos that you could not otherwise capture on such a small camera.

The next evolution of the dSLR might be to combine the superior optics and sensors of the dSLR with the superior computional power of a phone. That could unleash all sorts of incredible images ... but then we're on a slippery slope of "what's real and what's not".

7. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Considering how small the lenses are, how small the sensors are, how close the lens is to the sensor, and a whole host of other factors, phones are operating at a huge disadvantage when trying to take good photos when compared to DSLR cameras.

The only reason any of them are as good as they are is due to the software, and the way it integrates in with the newer, smarter sensors. Without the software, the photos would be pretty rough, compared.

So, yeah, the software does matter heaps.