Why would anyone buy a MacBook over a 13" MBP (entry model)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splashnader, Apr 13, 2010.

1. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

If Apple wants me to pay $1,000 for a MacBook but is then selling, right next to the MacBook, a 13" MacBook pro for only $200 more and that pro model will have a more durable casing and build quality to it, it will have more memory, and better all around performance. What is the point of the MacBook. I mean i get it is technically $200 cheaper, but anybody who is going to spend a $1,000 dollars on a MacBook, would be willing to spend $200 more to get a more powerful computer. Or am I wrong.

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

If you wallet doesn't have the extra 200$, then the only option is a Macbook. It's still a great computer.

3. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Your right,I really want one of the new 13" MBP's,probably the base line.
    (see sig.)

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

The entry level 13" MBP does have a lot more value for the money, but $200 is still $200, so it really depends on the buyers financial situation and needs. I think the higher the price gets, the less obvious the money difference becomes. $1200 vs $1000 doesn't LOOK like a big difference, but $200 vs $400 does.

5. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

Well, with the release today there's now a generation gap between the standard MB and the MBP. When they were in the same generation, the MB had better specs than the MBP (but the MBP had things like more connectivity and aluminum casing).

I really wish they would've updated the standard MBs today (and I'm still hoping that it's not too long of a wait).

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I myself have the Late 09 Macbook Poly Unibody. And to be honest, I'd stll take it over the base 13" MBP. First off, I paid 799 for it via Microcenter, added 2GB mor of RAM myself and the notebook is a beast of a computer for the "above average, but still relatively" casual user. I use my Macbook for lots of Word, Excel, Pages, Keynote, etc...plus, I am sure you heavier users could benefit from the MBP's obviously, but for someone like me, for 799 to get in the game via Microcenter I couldn't turn that down. Plus the specs for the late 09 MB were decent! I will say, it is a hell of a computer and the white is kinda sexy! But thats just me.....I will say though, it's pretttttty :)

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

8. splashnader thread starter macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Thank you. That was what I was trying to say but you said it better. We are already talking a thousand bucks here just to play. It just seems like a lot of money for somebody to have and then to turn around and say oops I just can't muster another $200. And I am not trying to make light of anyone and their finacial situation. I mean if this was a case of a pair of $99 headphones versus a pair costing $300 then I could understand the price difference. But in this case I guess it just seems odd for somebody to pay so much but not spring a little more for a little better computer.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Or they will buy thje cheaper computer that gives them everything they need and use the extra on something else.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this

when you can save 33% off the mbp to get a new mb, that is worth it to many...myself included

11. splashnader thread starter macrumors 6502a

splashnader

That is a good discount. Of course I am sure you can get them on places like ebay for even cheaper. I am also sure you could find better deals on the entry mbp as well.

12. Sulwyn macrumors member

I just bought this macbook that I'm using now about a week ago and after seeing the update, had about 5 minutes of regret and then went back to loving my macbook. While the pro specs look nice and all, I don't use my laptop enough to justify paying an extra $200 for one. I don't game much except for the occasional WoW and Ragnarok Online (on boot camp) when my friends are in the mood for it. Otherwise, I don't do any graphics editting and stuff. I mainly use my mac for web surfing so the extra $200 for a better specs that I won't feel makes no sense. I got a mac because I love OSX and not because I wanted or needed uber specs. So the macbook suits my needs more than the macbook pro 13" does. :3

13. splashnader thread starter macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I can see that POV. I would just think having that mbp with slitly better features sitting across the section in the Apple store would hurt sales for the mb. Of course that may not be the case at all. And I could do something with that $200 so I definitely understand where you are coming from.

14. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Basically the 13" MBP (yes laughably still called a 'pro' machine :rolleyes: ) is the MB in the unibody shell. In essence NOT A PRO!!!!

Hope that clears things up.

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

And microcenter regularly sells the MacBook for $799 in store only.

Cheers,

darngooddesign beat me to it. Still a fantastic deal if you live near one