Why would anyone buy from Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bear1973, Jan 5, 2008.

1. bear1973 macrumors member

I'm curious why anyone would buy from the Apple Store online and most likely have to pay tax when they could get a small discount/rebate and pay no tax (or shipping) when they buy fro MacMall or MacConnection or any number of online retailers. And if they're buying a MacBook, they're likely to get a bunch of other extras, too. Even with the educational discount you can't beat other deals.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's called customization. Some people might actually need a faster processor or bigger hard drive. It's easier, usually. There's a psychological predilection about it; buying straight from Apple equals reliability, quality, and if not, a swift return and exchange.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well I ordered my current Mac from the Japan Apple Online Store on the day they were announced and I know I took much faster shipment than I would have had I ordered from a 3rd party retailer. I know this only really applies when the products are brand new but it's a consideration.

There are no shipping fees from the Apple Online Store, at least not here in Japan.

If I was still living in the states I might consider an alternate retailer but if those retailers you mentioned ship to Japan it would cost a mint in shipping and import taxes. Not everyone lives in the states. :p

Over here my experience has been it is generally more expensive to buy Apple products from places other than Apple directly.

I did use an educational discount and it did save me a lot.

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Higher Education discount, BTO options, iPod engraving, free fast delivery, refurb discounts, a hassle free transaction, brilliant after care and the ubiquity of online money off codes.

Enough reasons? :p

5. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

I usally TRY and buy from the Apple Online Store here in the UK - purely because they tend to most of the time use UPS as the Courier, whereas other online retailers use some of the more 'cheapo' couriers where the service is not always great.

For example, there is one popular courier here which will only attempt to deliver ONCE - if no response you have to go and pick it up yourself from their Depo, or the items get returned back to supplier!!

Also, I find the Apple Online Store prices are quite comparable with others here in the UK. The service is great, and a no quibble money back guarantee.

6. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

plus macmall atleast will under no circumstances take refunds for apple products... puts a lot of people off including me when they wouldn't let me exchange/refund my iMac a couple years ago...

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

It's just an overall better feeling!!

Was also really surreal being cheered being the first person to buy Leopard at the Apple Store when it was released :) (Basking in the glory aww yes... lol)

8. bear1973 thread starter macrumors member

...but if I can get a computer for $75 less (an even less than the education discount), plus a bunch of free software, printers, carrying case, it's a non-brainer for me.

Of course, if I wanted to customize, that's another story. But I would also never in a million years buy memory from Apple, and I probably could get a better hard drive aftermarket for less too.

...how many people do you think are dishonestly taking advantage of this discount? Doesn't seem hard to do.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I vote with my dollars- I like what Apple does and stands for! So I know on a $1400 computer I could give Amazon $600 of that money and the rest goes to Apple or I could go to Apple and have all the money go to that company.

I imagine with little overhead, low cost of staff to manage the online store and ship computers that Apple makes a good profit off of those items bought at the Apple store which helps their bottom line.

I also like to support local companies when I can so if I had the option I would buy it locally.

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

No sales tax in my state. Even if there was I'd likely enjoy buying from their store. Sometimes the environment and shopping experience is worth a little more money spent.

11. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Because Apple Inc is like crack. We just need Apple computers, we need Apple software, and we need the Apple shopping experience. Its an addiction, and I've got it bad.

12. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I had to buy through the online store in order to take advantage of a GE "Friends and Family" discount (amounted to something like 16% off).

No sales tax in NH either.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

There are a lot of people that don't know how or want to disassemble their iMac or Macbooks to put in a better hard drive. Mac Pros are really the only Mac that is actually easy to add additional hard drives too.

14. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Heh, I'm taking a day trip train ride to Delaware during my trip to New York in a fortnight. Will definitely pick up whatever MBP they're offering by then :D

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Always had good service here in the UK, and I always BTO. If I didn't want BTO I guess I wouldn't be so bothered... but even so, I trust with the Apple store that when something goes wrong I can get some traction and get it fixed - this has proved to be true so far.

Some third parties may be as good, if not better, and cheaper, though I sometimes get a discount via the Business store. I just can't be doing with the hassle of shopping around when I'm happy with the experience that I'm getting.

16. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

If you are talking about adding, and not replacing, then I agree with you. But if you're saying that it is difficult to replace the hard drive on an iMac or MacBook, I have to disagree. It is absurdly easy on the new MacBooks and reasonably easy on iMacs. I have twice replaced the hard drive on my iMac G5, and I found that anyone with a screw driver could do it.

17. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I am in tax-free NH as well! (Otherwise known as the Live Mac or Die state!):D:apple:

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The Macbook is the single easiest hard drive-replacement computer Apple has on the market. Three screws for the L-brace, four screws (est.) for the caddy. That's it. not even the Mac Pro can be easier than that :^)

19. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

depends on what product are you buying? for example the macbook pro with the education discount on the apple store is still cheaper than macconnection or macmall

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

And first access to new releases.

21. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Student and government discount is certainly a perk!

22. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

That too :D You spot a lot of resellers selling old stock as if it were the latest product.

23. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I use the Apple Store because of my student discount. A lot of the rebates from other sites are mail in--no thanks!!!

24. Synthabusion macrumors newbie

you don't have to worry about not getting you rebate, terrible customer service or other problems that come from ordering from places like macmall...

25. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I use it because I can use the ADC store and get 20% off a MBP.