Why would anyone want a G4 933

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Are there peeps out there who would want a G4? If so, why?
:eek:

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
i'm gonna use mine for classic, as a good 2nd computer, a file server, and torrent box.

imho, if it can run leopard, and a 900 mhz g4 will, then it's still a current computer.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Why wouldn't someone want it? It's still a perfectly good computer. I wouldn't pay very much money for one, but if given one for free, I would happily use it. (It could be easily upgraded to be better than my current desktop, a 1.25 GHz eMac.)

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
dpaanlka said:
Because lots of "peeps" still use G3s?

Was this a serious attempt at a thread?

Yeh - i'm being serious.

The 'cos peeps still use G3's' is a good one. Forgot about them!

It is a bleedin good mac - but I'm moving on up to a MP 3ghz. Dunno whether to keep it or ebay it. It's not the quietest mac in the world. Hmm.

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
I hate getting rid - I've still got my Classic II

and a Centris 650

and a 8100

I did let my Quadra 610 go tho.

Breaking up is hard to do ;-)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
A 933 MHz G4 is a decent machine still. I could run Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X on it and be happy, as long as it had plenty of RAM.

I have an 800 MHz G3 that's still a good machine and perfectly capable of running a lot of software pretty quickly. A 933 MHz G4 could serve iTunes to AirTunes to your stereo very nicely.

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My main computer is a 1 GHz G4 and I do everything with it. I run Tiger, iLife, internet, music, burn CDs and DVDs. The only thing I really can't do that I'd like is to watch high definition movie trailers.

The powermac G4 is not obsolete!!!!

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I'd love to have one (for the right price) as a secondary machine to use when/if my PB breaks so I can run my Adobe products and other applications.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
When I went from an 867MHz G4 (Powerbook) to a 1.5GHz G4 (also a Powerbook), the difference was fairly subtle for most types of use. Even going from my G4 to the current Mac Pro, basic things aren't shockingly different. IMO a G4 Powermac, with its expandability, is still a fine desktop. As a matter of fact, if I didn't need to run Windows apps for work, I may not have bothered to make the Intel Mac transition at all. That said, I do need to use Windows for work, have bought two Intel Macs to date, and am looking at a third (iMac for my dad:)).

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
joepunk said:
I don't get it. A badly deformed Ducky wants to rule the world :confused:
I heard that they were being exported now, I guess that never took off. Peeps. (Flash required for no good reason)

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
No love for the G4?

I'm actually picking up a 17" G4 Powerbook soon. Why? Not everyone needs bleeding edge technology, etc. MS Word, Safari, and iTunes don't need 3 ghz of raw power to run.

Can't forget that alot of us are just students or light users.

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Yeh but for the price of a maxed out G4 you could get a mac mini - ain't that a better deal?