Why would apple release a specific case just for iP4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marddin, Jul 16, 2010.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I've been around since the first iphone release and apple has never announced a specific case for the 2G, 3G or 3GS.

But now with the new iPhone 4 they release a bumper, not really a case. And notice the bumper only surrounds the metal band and thats about the only protection you get?

They probably knew about the signal loss during late stages of mass production I'm guessing.

This is just interesting to me and speculation.
    If this has been posted before, I apologize.

2. hipvamore macrumors regular

i think i've hear this assumption before....weeks ago . cool bro

3. Sinfire macrumors regular

Same reason why they released a case for the iPad. They did their research and saw that 80% of the people that bought phones in the past purchased a case as well.

So they probably saw it as an additional way to make money.

4. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Good Point

5. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

The case "found" on the iPhone 4 by Gizmodo before the release. It really makes you wonder??

[​IMG]

6. hipvamore macrumors regular

7. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I think the iPhone-4 was supposed to use an antenna in insulating "bumper" from the earliest design, but once Steve saw the device "in the nude" w/o the case, it was all over for the bumper.

"Get that #@$& plastic thing OFF my new phone! Glass and stainless steel this year people!"

"and BTW, so no one will want one... price those rubber bands at... say $30! (bwa ha ha ha ha ha) "

Seriously, I bet thats how it happened.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm willing to bet money that that's exactly how it happened.

I agree that in the past case manufactures have leaked the design of a new apple product in advance (iPod nano, iPod touch, iPhone 3G) that this year they didn't give manfactures advance notice and they wanted to provide their customers with an option at launch. Also, knowing Apple, they wouldn't want to cover up the logo in the back like other case makers do, so they agreed on the bumper design.