Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
here in my house the Wi-Fi is too slow and +5 people use it simultaneously. and my 3G network is much much faster!! so why many features like facetime, icloud syncing etc can be only done by Wi-Fi. If they're trying to avoid the customer being crashed with 3G bills they can just have a warning pop-up or something to do it!!

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I think the main reason is to keep data traffic down on the network.

I feel that a person should be able to use their data as they wish, but we all know how AT&T feels about that right now. :)

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
here in my house the Wi-Fi is too slow and +5 people use it simultaneously. and my 3G network is much much faster!! so why many features like facetime, icloud syncing etc can be only done by Wi-Fi. If they're trying to avoid the customer being crashed with 3G bills they can just have a warning pop-up or something to do it!!

I think it would be difficult to set up a warning as everybody has a different data cap. And if every1 else would do it using 3g your 3g may slow down to unusable speeds.

Although I gotta agree with TWO2SEVEN everyone should be able to use their data as they wish.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
When Apple and AT&T first contracted for services, AT&T requested certain limits on 3G data usage, and Apple agreed. Even with these limits, AT&T had significant service problems in high usage areas.

These restrictions are still in place today, right or wrong...

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Yes while we should be able to use our data how we want. If it weren't in place people with a 200 or 300mb a month plan could download an app that size or larger and go over there allowed usage.

AppleBlogAt

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
There are apps out there for you... like "3G Unrestrictor". You can find them on Cydia and will bypass the amount of traffic on 3G. I don't know if your network provider will detect it though.

Makman8

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
Noho CA
There are apps out there for you... like "3G Unrestrictor". You can find them on Cydia and will bypass the amount of traffic on 3G. I don't know if your network provider will detect it though.

I use one from cydia called My3G and it works like a charm! I can do anything I normally could on wifi.

Ive also never been flagged down by at&t for using it, and ive used it for a couple years now. So from experience I believe its safe to use without getting a at&t call :p

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
I asked Verizon, what was the reason for wifi on Facetime. They told me you have to have a stronger signal for Facetime than a phone can put out. I guess, kinda like how some apps need wifi to update.

Makman8

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
Noho CA
I asked Verizon, what was the reason for wifi on Facetime. They told me you have to have a stronger signal for Facetime than a phone can put out. I guess, kinda like how some apps need wifi to update.

Sounds like more of an excuse, because FaceTime works just fine on 3G. Not to mention other 3rd party apps that do it like Skype and Tango.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
Sounds like more of an excuse, because FaceTime works just fine on 3G. Not to mention other 3rd party apps that do it like Skype and Tango.
Your saying you can FaceTime without a router near? I heard Skype and all them do, i was only mentioning FT.
All i asked was why i needed wifi. And not able to FT anywhere i wanted. They told me both phone's had to be on wifi.

Last edited:

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
Yep I can, I use a hack called My3G through Cydia Jailbreak and I can FT anywhere I have a 3G signal.:D

Yeah.. i wasn't talking about a JB phone. I should have mentioned that. Thanks
I'll even add this in; Me and a friend was testing the FT with 2 iphone4's (unjailbroken),w/Verizon on line.
And, on the same wifi router.(still don't work)// Verizon said it had to be on two different wifi's also.
I quit fooling with it and moved on.

Last edited:

Makman8

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
Noho CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

ObuckiO said:
Yep I can, I use a hack called My3G through Cydia Jailbreak and I can FT anywhere I have a 3G signal.:D

Still proves the fact that whether your on wifi or 3G is irrelevant.

Makman8

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
Noho CA
I'll even add this in; Me and a friend was testing the FT with 2 iphone4's (unjailbroken),w/Verizon on line.
And, on the same wifi router.(still don't work)// Verizon said it had to be on two different wifi's also.
I quit fooling with it and moved on.

ahh I see what you are saying. Because Verizon (CDMA) cant use the network and make a call at the same time, since FT is using call along with data...or atleast thats how I think FT works. I wonder, my siblings have VZW for their iPhones that are jailbroken. Ill have to see if they can just facetime without dialing and if they are able to use FT with just 3G.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
When Apple and AT&T first contracted for services, AT&T requested certain limits on 3G data usage, and Apple agreed. Even with these limits, AT&T had significant service problems in high usage areas.

These restrictions are still in place today, right or wrong...
That's probably the issue. The networks probably didn't want so many people using that much data transfers. Browsing the internet is one thing but using FaceTime or streaming video or music is something I'm sure cell phone network providers hate. I'm sure if everyone was able to use FaceTime on 3G it would bring down AT&T's network especially those super chatty people. :)

I really wish the network providers would invest more into upgrading their networks to handle the inevitable growth in mobile wireless demand. They keep giving us a lot of limitations and excuses as to why we can't use our data usage the way we want to.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
ahh I see what you are saying. Because Verizon (CDMA) cant use the network and make a call at the same time, since FT is using call along with data...or atleast thats how I think FT works. I wonder, my siblings have VZW for their iPhones that are jailbroken. Ill have to see if they can just facetime without dialing and if they are able to use FT with just 3G.
I'll top the rest of why i gave up on it. I was at a persons house(that had wifi), and i knew the person i was going to FT was too on wifi(not even the same wifi), so i thought i would test this one...NOPE..//:mad:It asked me for the persons house i was at router's password.:mad: So as far as i can name this option from here on, it's "WasteTime":D

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I'll top the rest of why i gave up on it. I was at a persons house(that had wifi), and i knew the person i was going to FT was too on wifi(not even the same wifi), so i thought i would test this one...NOPE..//:mad:It asked me for the persons house i was at router's password.:mad: So as far as i can name this option from here on, it's "WasteTime":D

Since you had not logged into their wifi, you were not ON wifi just because you were in the room with a signal.... Hello?

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
Since you had not logged into their wifi, you were not ON wifi just because you were in the room with a signal.... Hello?

I was adding that to a post...read the earlier one's..Hello
It is a flat out hassle is all i'm saying. The other person couldn't make the FT call, because 1)i didn't know they were calling. And, for me to make the FT call i have to ask for password from person to be able to use it. It sucks..I'm done with it.
BTW: This was all in the first two or three weeks, that the iphone4 first came out.

Last edited:

iVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
magnificent I'll try that definitely and tell u about it.

P.S. I am from "Bahrain" and all AT&T & Verizon murmuring doesn't interest me :D but thanks anyway all ;)

iVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I think it would be difficult to set up a warning as everybody has a different data cap. And if every1 else would do it using 3g your 3g may slow down to unusable speeds.

Although I gotta agree with TWO2SEVEN everyone should be able to use their data as they wish.

why isn't difficult then to set an annoying warning about facetime every and each time rebooting my iPhone? :confused:

there must be some control on that!

iVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Haha :D no problem!:p

didn't work for me. I found another one as one pal mentioned called "3G restrictor 5" which is specially created for iOS5!! it works like a charm

cheerz all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.