Why would Apple update their OS?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Squilly, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I was just thinking about this. Why would Apple, of all companies, want to update their operating system in patches 6.1, 6.1.1, etc)? They tediously want to be perfect, yet have had a lot of exploits lately. Even things like improving battery life is done in an update. Shouldn't it be perfect before release?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes, it should be perfect...but then, nothing is.

Quelle surprise!!

:rolleyes:

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Hey companies like Microsoft have done major Windows versions without really ever fixing anything.
    It is impossible to test everything in every condition and with every combination of applications etc.
    There are very few, relatively speaking, bugs that have been fixed in the IOS 6.x.x releases

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Don't you think, that if Apple could make it perfect the first time, they would? Any person or company that could achieve perfection in a product would love to do so.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Nothing is perfect.

6. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Battery life....

7. Skika macrumors 68030

Because people want innovation man.

They want giant clocks and stuff on their home screen! It about time.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What does that mean in the discourse of what I antecedently mentioned?

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It is software. Who would want software without any updates?

What is perfect for you?

10. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

If they could do it right during the second/third revision of the operating system, they should be able to do it right the first time so customers don't complain.

11. zosokm macrumors regular

I just got a nokia lumia 920 and within the first 1 hour of use the OS crashed and the screen just froze and had to do a reboot. In iOS I have had individual apps crash but usually the phone doesnt hang, the app would just close and I could reopen it. The best part was that the phone crashed when I was trying to activate bluetooh. No apps installed! Guess no system is perfect! I am sure that no company wants to put out a buggy OS but by and large find that ios seems to be the least buggy OS

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Are you saying they should have foreknowledge of things to be, though they be not revealed to them yet?

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

14. crazycanucks macrumors regular

So in each OS, piece of softaqre, hardware theres literally millions lines of codes, for teh most part its all good, but you cant predict if that random line of code will confl;ict with someone elses line of code.

For Example, there is an issue I am figuring out for a user. Any website in Chrome is unable to load, no errors, no nothing. Everything works as is on the network side, IE, FF both work. Tried a new profile in Windows, that also exibits a profile (no corrupt profile)

So I found out from some Google Code thread, that the issue is Chrome has an issue with systems installed with a DisplayLink adapter, causing the same issue. How in the world would either Google or DisplayLink Devs ever forsaw that they would have a conflict in thier code?

So, no it wont ever work the way you want it to work, that will never never happpen

15. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Code is an extremely complex thing. Something relatively simple like a word processor, yes, it is possible to get it right on the first go, but it's almost humanly impossible to get something as complex as an OS right on the first go. No matter how much they test, there are always fringe cases that don't appear in any tests Apple does. In some ways, beta testing never really ends, especially with an OS.

16. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

So... you test it.

17. maxosx macrumors 68020

Why, because Apple is staffed with highly skilled engineers that enjoy doing terrific work & making progress.

That's why I remain a satisfied Apple customer :D

18. view2darrel macrumors member

nothing is perfect , though apple and ofcourse any company would like to release a product in its perfect form , they cant debug everything thats why they do test before release. then because many people use their products (compare apple staffs and people around the world ) they are the one who discover any flaws or bugs. then apple will fix it.

19. crazycanucks macrumors regular

And thats why companies have private and public beta's for users to test it out. Much easier finding issues with your code that way with in some cases millions of people testing a new OS out.

If you dont know how software development works, dont throw a stupid statement like "So You Test it" out. Before its even gets to your grubby hands, there has been extensive testing with any OS. What a dumb comment by someone who has no clue how software is developed.

20. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

One reason they cant make it perfect first time round is because bugs don't always become obvious until there is a large amount of people using a product.

One thing I'd like to know is why Apple are so hell bent on fixing jailbreak exploits. How does jail breaking really effect Apple in a negative way? A lot of people have even said being able to jailbreak is one of the reasons they haven't switched to an Android phone.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Jailbreaks use security exploits to crack the phone... and you're wondering why Apple would care about fixing them?

Even if they're used for good security problems are a bad thing.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You obviously have never spent a day working as a software developer. You can test for weeks and users will still find bugs.

23. crazycanucks macrumors regular

Agree! I am not a Dev, but I do support Devs. Sometimes there are issues that in a million years would never come up. All it takes is for 1 person to report the issue and there you go.

People are stupid. They expect things to "Just Work" and "So Test it" Well in the dev world it doesnt work like that. They cant just magically snap thier fingers and "Make it work"

24. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Do you know how software is developed?

Like why did apple release system software 1.0 anyway. Would have made more sense to just release OSX 10.8.3 straight away in 1984 of course! #

25. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

There's a difference between fixing bugs and innovating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.