Why would certain flash videos run slowly?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tucker3434, Mar 24, 2010.

1. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Youtube works extremely fast while NHL Gamecenter and Hulu drag along. Netflix also runs perfectly fine, and I can download at a consistent 5MB/S on Itunes. Also, my 5 year old PC plays Gamecenter and Hulu just fine. I have the latest version of flash player.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

1. Resolution
    2. Slow source servers
    3. Flash for Mac... sucks.

Also, Netflix, if I remember correctly, utilizes Silverlight not Flash.

3. tucker3434 thread starter macrumors regular

You're right on the silverlight, but I just wanted to put as much info out there as possible. So, am I going to have to rely on my 5 year old laptop to watch videos online?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

...and Silverlight for Mac is absolute trash. Once it plays it's fine but the time it takes to load and how it can stall the browser for a minute is horrible.

5. tucker3434 thread starter macrumors regular

i haven't had a problem with silverlight. It takes a couple seconds to load, and it never slows after that. I wish it was the other way around. I'd much rather be able to watch my NHL games than movies.

6. Norskman macrumors member

Norskman

Never had any Silverlight problems, but I'm constantly having this Flash issue on my MacBook Pro. A website with a flash ad can complete hose the browser until I kill that tab.

I use Flashblock (Firefox) now and only turn on the flash I want to view, like YouTube video's, which you can then whitelist.

7. tucker3434 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really having a problem with flash embedded in websites, though. I'm having a problem getting flash videos to run smoothly and quickly. It is so frustrating to watch my bandwidth sit at 5MB/S when I'm downloading something, only to have it fall to 50KB/S when I try to watch video.